Highlighted
8 Krypton

memory/battery error

my power edge 2950 server got this error when in boot process. " memory/battery problems were detected. The adapter has recovered, but cached data was lost. Press any key to continue, or 'C' to load the configuration utility". and where can I find the memory slot and how to remove it? thanks, Jess
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: memory/battery error

Jjec2013,

The error you received is from the Perc Controller you have installed. What I suggest is that you power down the server and then remove the battery, after removing the battery you will reseat the dimm. After that then reinstall the battery. You must remove the battery before removing or inserting the dimm, as it causes the slot to be hot and will damage the dimm.

After removing the battery, reseat the dimm, and reinstall the battery try booting and see if the error clears. If it doesn't then you need to look at replacing the dimm. 

Here is a picture with the battery in hand and the dimm is shown behind that .

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
xqzit
6 Indium

Hello,

To locate the memory slot refer the following link - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2950_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf (page 90 onwards). 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi, I did not do anything yet. when i press a key from the keyboard. The server boot up properly and I tried to restart the server, i did not see the error message again. why is that? thanks.

0 Kudos

It could be a loose connection between something, or it could be the controller is very out of date and is giving false errors. What is the driver and firmware version on the controller?

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos