Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2015 12:00

1955 DRAC/MC no Console, only in slave mode

Hi Guys,

I can't get any response on my console when connecting using Serial on a active DRAC/MC card.

When I pull the slave one out and keep connected to the Master and put the "old" slave in, it becomes master, I see slave output on my serial console on my old master.

When I connect to the new master, the same happens, no response.

I can do this again and again and again. I have reset both DRAC cards but nothing gets to master.

Does this mean a Chassis reboot ? I hope not!

Thanks,

Matt

• 

8.7K Posts

June 1st, 2015 17:00

Hi Matt,

So you can see output when connected to the non active drac/mc but not the active one? Are you able to access the web gui for it?

70 Posts

June 1st, 2015 17:00

Yes as you say.

You mean the webgui of the active one ? The IP's are not pingable.

I have had this a very long time ago and a whole powerdown was the solution but I wonder if the chassis actually can crash by itself.

What are my options ?

70 Posts

June 1st, 2015 18:00

Hi,

OK, thanks. That is quite a bummer, but I can manage it during a night schedule. My second chassis doesn't contain all switches at the moment for this setup so I cannot move my VM's to it.

What could be a reason the active one is not accisable and the passive one is ? Does something go wrong on the chassis and is there firmware for the Chassis ? I thought not.

Thanks so far !

Cheers,

Matt

• 

8.7K Posts

It seems like it is not failing over correctly and the management console may have crashed. Making sure it is up to date and that there are not any mismatched firmware versions in the drac, power supplies or switches. You may also want to make sure that the baud rate in the server bios matches the internal baud rate of the DRAC/MC.

• 

8.7K Posts

Unfortunately, you may need to restart the chassis. If the web gui was accessible you may have been able to reflash the firmware and we could have looked for errors in the logs, but with no console or web access there is not any way to access it, and you tried reseating the cards already.

70 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 01:00

Hi Josh,

Thank you.

Yes the failover seems to be stuck, but even a single DRAC doesn't come up as master where I can connect to.

The Management system is in the blade or in the card nest to nr1 DRAC at the right back of Chassis ?

Firmwares up-to-date. I never found any firmwares for the PSU's, I know they need to be there, but I never found them.

Can you point me to them ?

Thanks,

Matt

• 

8.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 10:00

I am not seeing an update either, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

No Events found!