Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2010 21:00

2950 firmware update(s)

So I have this PE 2950 that has been giving me fits lately, and it is in very long need of updates in firmware to just about everything.  I downloaded what I thought was needed (the Dell System Build and UPdate Utility), burned it to a disc, booted from it, but it mentioned that it was lacking information (drivers, updates, etc), to do anything useful.  Am I mising a step?  ...I have to be, right?

This is almost embarrasing to ask, especially because I've scoured the forums in an effort to figure thing out, but it's just not coming together.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 18th, 2010 21:00

Don't be embarrassed ... it is all a bit convoluted.  You need to first boot to the SBUU DVD, as you have done, but when it asks for the disk with the updates,  you need to put in the SUU (Server Update Utility) DVD.  You need to download the Server Update DVD (all three images and merge using copy /b from the command prompt).  If 5GB+ on a DL DVD is ok, then download this, but if not, then you might try the Repository Manager to download just what is needed.

Alternatively, you can just run the update packages from the OS, if you have Windows installed.

203 Posts

June 18th, 2010 22:00

Wow... thank you.  So you're saying I'm not the only one out there that wasn't able to figure this out.  That shouldn't make me feel better, but it does.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, that first SBUU disc I have is correct, then I assemble an SUU DVD ISO from the 3 ISO's found here 

...and when it asks for the 2nd disc, throw that one in there, and I'm good to go?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 19th, 2010 08:00

You got it!

203 Posts

June 19th, 2010 09:00

Great, that worked.

You'd think that those two links would be BIG bold links sitting on the "Drivers and Downloads" page for each Service Tag you enter.  ...I was also sidetracked by other things like the Dell Repository Manager.  Then of course, there was the Linux Update Repository as well.  They all seem fairly self explanitory, but I still don't know how that piece fits into the server management puzzle, or if I should even care.

9 Posts

June 20th, 2010 13:00

What I've found to work for me was to update firmwares individually. The BIOS and CMC typically comes in a bootable floppy image. I attach that through the DRAC console and virtual-media and boot from the virtual-floppy. The other firmwares require an OS to be installed, and I'll usually install a basic Win2k3 volume and update from there.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2010 07:00

It would be nice if Dell had a firmware update for Perc 6/i that was compatible with 64-bit Windows.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 21st, 2010 09:00

They do ...

No Events found!