Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2010 06:00

A TON of errors on startup and shutdown including no video PE 2600

First of all I am new to servers, but certainly not computers so bare with me if some of these are newbie questions.  I bought an old PE 2600 from my office and presumed it worked fine but just needed some RAM.  I also replaced the CMOS battery after realizing that it was bad.  I bought 2 - 1GB sticks and installed them in DIMM 1A and DIMM 1B per the instructions.

When I turn on the server the fans start up for a few second and then shut down and back on again (and I get a bunch of error messages).  Depending on how long I've left the server off between startups it may do this several times). When it comes back on for good I get the error beeps 1-3-2 which is the "No Memory installed error".  Last night I also noticed that the LEDs on the motherboard down by the PCI slots can give you error messages too. 

So here is a summary of what happens with the translated LED error codes, again sometimes it will only turn the fans off and give me error codes once, sometimes it does it twice giving different errors., so here are the summaries of each.  It also gives me a whole string of LED errors after I turn off the machine, so those are listed below as well.  

Sorry for the long post, I'm assuming something like the motherboard being fried for there to be THIS many errors and no video output.  Any thoughts?

On Startup
Fans on
Fans off
VRM_P1 is not good.
VRM_P2 is not good.
Fans on and running but no video
On Startup
Fans on
Fans off
System POWERGOOD missing. Bad U6009.
VRM_P1 is not good.
Fans on
Fans off
PROC1 heat sink not installed properly. Thermtrip on PROC1
PROC2 heat sink not installed properly. Thermtrip on PROC2
Fans on and running but no video
ON Shutdown (after I turn off the machine):
PROC1 heat sink not installed properly. Thermtrip on PROC1
PROC2 heat sink not installed properly. Thermtrip on PROC2
PD_ON# from the ICH3 not happening
Power supply not turning ON. +12 V bad or missing.
System POWERGOOD missing. Bad U6009.
VRM_P1 is not good.
VRM_P2 is not good.
ICH3 PCI Reset is not high. ICH3 chip on the planar has likely failed. Replace planar.

347 Posts

July 9th, 2010 08:00

really have to start from the bottom and work your way up on this one:
first, is the memory good? Are you 1000% sure?
are the memory modules in the first bank (memory slots furthest from card slots) 
2 memory modules are sitting right next to each other? (no empty slots between memory modules)
try clearing the nvram with the jumper on the motherboard
try one power supply at a time
remove the cmos battery, could be causing voltage errors, could it be upside down?
reseat the processors, reseat the VRMs,
remove all pci cards
remove the era/drac
pull out the hd, optical drive, floppy if equipped.
reseat the fans

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Good luck!

2 Posts

July 9th, 2010 09:00

Thank you for the reply!  

I was afraid I'd have to do a complete tear down of this.  Yes the Memory is installed in the correct 1A and 1B (furthest from the pci slots).  There are no PCI's installed and there are no tape/media drives installed, just the CD drive and 5 HDD's.  

I have tried with several different sticks and even ordered some because I thought that would clear the "no memory installed" error.

Thanks for the help, looks like I'll do a complete teardown and rebuild...we'll see what happens!

Thanks,  Chris

347 Posts

July 9th, 2010 13:00

I had a guy tell me that they were getting E1000 errors on thePE2600, they replaced the system board and it still failed. They swapped out the cdrom and that solved it. Seems odd to me, but strange things can happen on computers....

No Events found!