Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2015 07:00

Additional DVI Card not the default for R730 server

I recently bought a Dell R730 server. I needed a DVI output so Dell recommended "Dell Part number A3515673" VisionTek Radeon HD 4350. Installed the card and was able to boot using the integrated VGA port as normal. New card contains a DMS-59 port, which has two pigtails for DVI. Plugged up a second monitor to one of the DVI connections. Dual screens works.

BUT when I shutdown my system and try to boot up just using the DVI connection it isn't recognized. How do I make this the default video card? I know it's something simple like a BIOS setting or something I'm overlooking but I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks.

• 

8.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2015 13:00

Dcdeez,

I am not sure why you were told that the card would be supported. Dell Poweredge servers do not support local DVI Port connections on Graphics cards. The supported graphics cards for the R730 are designed to be used as VDI devices and support virtualized graphics, as well as the GPU support is limited to compute and co-processing only; external video out is not going to be supported. If you follow this link  it will show you the supported GPU cards per server platform, as well as give a detailed explanation of the variable uses of GPU cards.

Hope this helps answer your question.

17 Posts

May 26th, 2015 07:00

So when I asked what video card would support DVI out for a R720 and R730, this info verified from TWO people at Dell is incorrect?

2:38:47 PM   

(Dell Tech)

The only option we have is Dell Part number A3515673, it contains a DMS-59 port, which has two pigtails for DVI. They cost $109.99 and will work in either server thru the PCIe port.

2:40:24 PM   

(dcdeez)

Pefect, so that is the only card you offer?

2:41:32 PM   

(Dell tech)

Yes, it's the only DVI that has been tested to work in both.

So it works fine in a  dual monitor setup(one monitor connected to the new card and one to the onboard VGA) but you can't default to the card in a single monitor situation? I find it hard to believe that you can't disable the onboard one and utilize the additional card on boot up.

November 22nd, 2016 14:00

Could you extend your server to 2 screens? Did you find any video card that works?

No Events found!