Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2011 16:00

BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Good Day,

I have a PowerEdge 2950 server that has been down for 6months, just booted it up today and i'm getting the following error at post "Baseboard Management Controller Communication Failure".

I can still boot into the server, but my fans are spinning out of control and generating some serious noise. I checked under the Open Manage Server Administrator and i'm not seeing my fans at all. 

Just wondering if anyone encountered this problem and what solutions they used to rectify this problem

Thanks in advance

Darryl

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

so just to be sure, you downloaded the file_name.bin files, did  you also download the file_name.sign files? The .bin and the .sign files must be in the same folder that Repository manager is grabbing them from.

1 Message

February 17th, 2014 22:00

I have the same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions with no luck. Tried reflashing, but it loses communication during process after about 10-30 seconds and fails. Reseated everything, tried different ram/CPUs etc. Any other options?  Or is the board ready for the trash?  Is there another way to force flash the bmc ?  Tried Linux/windows/dell recovery/flash.

990 Posts

February 18th, 2014 08:00

Hughmcl,

You have tried all the appropriate methods to reflashing the BMC and it appears all have failed.  The board has most likely failed and as you have eloquently stated, its ready for the trash.   There are no user replaceable parts, so the whole board will need to be replaced.

Regards,

4 Posts

September 29th, 2017 06:00

Hello. I'm currently having the same kind of problem, and I'm not quite sure wether it's because of me not RTFM (Most likely!), or the FUBAR HDD that I have (Which is faulty, but work for a while, then it corrupts data, but when I put it in this server, it seemed to work quite well, and I also repartitioned it which probably made it work) currupted the firmware.

Anyways, I have the PowerEdge 1950 mark II which I recently aquired.

I ran Windows 2012 server and had just downloaded an huge 5. GB ISO-file with updates (SUU_9G_14.12.200.61.ISO I think it was), and I mounted it through a network-connection, which may also have been what further corrupted it, I don't know, and ran it

I took my eye off the server for a few minutes and I almost jumped to the ceiling when it's fans went to 100% speed, and just saw a blank screen followed by BIOS yelling that it couldn't find the BMC, and also, if remembering correctly, saying something about RAC.

I've refrained from starting it, as I'm currently living in a hostel (Yes, I'm between homes at the moment), and I've been otherwise occupied with work, so I'm hoping to have the time and opportunity this weekend to run it again, hopefully without disturbing ppl. It's noisy as ***!

One thing I did notice, again, wether or not it's because of the disk, but it seemed to run at what seemed that it ran Windows slowly as ***, then after a few minutes it BSOD'd on me.

I figured it's the disk that had corrupted Windows (And I didn't at the time have the Windows on USB so I didn't run a chkdsk /F /R /B like I used to do.

Anyways, after much ado, I finally got DRM working, and after a few trials and errors, I managed to create an bootable ISO, yet to be tested.

I found it very difficult to find my old, and very obsolete model, but I did nonetheless, but I'm still a bit confused to what it is that Im supposed to do. [Edited:] I can access the DRAC via network as shown below:

Here's why:

DRAC says this:

"System Information

Description UNKNOWN
 BIOS Version UNKNOWN
 Service Tag UNKNOWN
 Host Name UNKNOWN
 Operating System Name UNKNOWN
 System Revision UNKNOWN
  Auto Recovery
 Recovery Action UNKNOWN
 Initial Countdown UNKNOWN
 Present Countdown UNKNOWN
  Embedded NIC MAC Addresses
 NIC1 Ethernet UNKNOWN
 NIC2 Ethernet UNKNOWN

RAC Information

Name DRAC 5
 Product Information Dell Remote Access Controller 5
 Hardware Version A00
 Firmware Version 1.65 (12.08.16)
 Firmware Updated Thu Jan 1 00:00:38 1970
 RAC Time Fri Jan 2 02:38:18 1970

BMC Information

Name Baseboard Management Controller
 IPMI Version 0.0
 Number of Possible Active Sessions 5
 Number of Current Active Sessions 0
 Firmware Version 1.65
 LAN Enabled No

"

I also have, prior to this update flashed the BIOS successfully to the latest version available

Note: Noticed that the circled DELL-logo had disappeared after this, but I don't really care, just as long as it works though.

Anyway, any thoughts and ideas are both welcome and appreciated.

I'm from Sweden, so forgive my choices of words and phrases.

Thanks ahead!

4 Posts

September 29th, 2017 13:00

I just ran the bootable CD I made from DRM, and it spat out a ton of errors about wrong directories to which it couldn't mount a heap of stuff like CDROM and what not. Ir promptly wanted to reboot too.

I also tried the other boot-up option of "Check media", and it flashed a few errors, then it told me that the check was requested, and that I had to run some command with parameters, and the only option was a reboot computer... Meh!!?

Tried to change consol with Ctrl+ , which worked, but was unable to input any commands ):0o

I downloaded this older catalog from the archives, and I'm unable to recall what date I chose, but I think it was the oldest I could find since my server isn't listed in the online catalog, and I haven't tried any other yet, but it's annoying when it's this *** complicated just to flash some firmware. Linux is nice, when it's working, otherwise it's utter ***! Too *** complicated to be useful.

I don't have that much experience with it, but I have used Debian a little, but that was like 10 years ago and then I ran an FTP-server. Since then I've forgotten tons of stuff, so it's quite difficult to remember what was what and why.

It's quite arduous to having to create an Linux CD, since there are so many dists out there, and then figure out which one the firmware works on, and what that need to have running.

I would like to do this from Windows, but I can't since I don't have a proper harddrive, and I don't really feel comfy running from Windows in the first place. But I'd settle for old trusty DOS, but it seem like that's not an option though, since it seem to be lots of RAM required to run the flash utility.

So, again: A few pointers would be greatly appreciated!

4 Posts

October 1st, 2017 07:00

Finally, I got the problem sorted out!

I had, as I said earlier, an faulty hdd. I took my SSD from my laptop and put it in the server, made a new volume and installed Windows 2008 Server, and ran the BMC firmware-update, and presto - It worked!!!

I wonder why I didn't try this before!!? It's way easier than having a Linux-CD ISO that's not suitable for USB-drives.

Now, I can in good conscience install my (soon to arrive) new(ish) CPU:s, and order a new SSD, HDD and SATA-card and other goodies!

Anyways, if any of you guys are reading this and know what's wrong with the suppository, I mean, repository-ISO, and why it didn't detect I was using a USB-stick, and how to remedy this, please help others out.

Thanks you other guys for some interesting reading.

March 2nd, 2020 12:00

Hi all!

I have a PE2970 server, and at boot time, rihgt before starting the OS it shows the error

"Baseboard management Controller Communication Failure"

the server works, meaning that it boots to installed OS, more than that: at the first screen it detects that i have am DRAC5 installed in the system, which can not be initialized.

The problem is with the fans which runs at maximum speed and they are extremly noisy, and the lcd screen which does shows nothing except the amber backlight.

I tried to reflash the firmware from windows, and from dos (using the PE2970BmcA05.exe which is a selfextracting zip containing bmccfg.def, bmcfl16d.exe, bmcflsh.dat and a readme), but no luck: in windows i got the error saying that the system is not suitable for that DUP, in DOS it can ot find any device.

The systemboard does not show up any problem, like moisture damage, short cicruit, etc ...

Please advise me to solve this issue, i would like to believe that i should not trash the board... The service code of the server is .

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I know that i might not post my issue on the right board, but forgive me please.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 05:00

Hans.Holgersson,

Have you tried reseating the Drac5 card itself, as well as the center riser, what occurs if you remove the Drac5 and then power up? Also, if you have another 2970, can you test this server with a known good Drac5, as well as center riser?

Let me know.

March 3rd, 2020 23:00

Hi Chris.

I tried to reseat everything in that server (literelly everithing - all the server was spread across my room, i cleaned connectors with alcohol, etc ...; after that i reassembled it).

The DRAC card is in working condition, because i checked it on an another server (a PE2950) and worked perfectly.

If i remove the DRAC it behaves the same, except that immediatly after counting processors and memory it does not show the message that it detected a remote access controller, it initialises the raid card and disks, it shows "Remote Access Configuration Utility 1.28, after that it shows "baseborad management communication faliure".

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 4th, 2020 17:00

The BMC is not the same thing as the DRAC ... they work together, but they are not the same. The BMC is integrated into the motherboard, so you are looking at a bad board if you can't fix it. Have you tried clearing the CMOS with the jumpers on the motherboard? Not sure if that will affect the BMC or not, and I don't believe there are separate pins for the BMC, but I'm not sure what else you can try. The 2970 is so old (12-13 years old) that I'm not sure it was even worth spreading it across the room to take it apart. You can get a newer server for a couple $hundred, and depending on what you are doing with it, you might be better off with a newer desktop anyway ...

March 4th, 2020 21:00

I know DRAC is not BMC.

I tried to clear nvram, i do not know if BMC has or not nvram or nvram reset, but i think not.

Yes ... it is an old machine, but i bougth it for less than a hundred bucks (equipped with 6 15k rpm sas disks, 2 cpus and 32g ram) so it worth a little effort to revitalize the BMC and use it as a mailserver.

No Events found!