Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

31 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 04:00

BSODs for VMs running on VMWare Workstation Pro on T40

Hi Guys,

My new T40 is just great and it's so good to be back home at Dell!

Just in case others do what I am doing, which is running VMs on VMWare Workstation Pro 16.x.

I found out I had to limit each VM to 1 core or they would overload the machine when they did their windows update checks. The T40 went to 100% CPU and the contention locked up the machine.

So each VM is limited to 1 core and it works just fine.

I have the full 64GB in the machine now and it runs 8 VMs at the same time quite fine.

But what I have observed is that each 5 days (3 times now) the VMs have BSODed at the same time.

The first time I guessed it was the windows server 2019 update starting that killed the VMs.

So I turned off windows update and they all ran again happily for 5 days.

Then they BSODed again and I rebooted.

And it happened again yesterday.

It was only the third time that I went and checked the logs to see how often this was happening.

And sure enough they were each 5 day intervals.

So I am wondering if anyone else here has experience on T40s running workstation pro and seeing such BSODs?

A friend also suggested I could run ESXi on the T40 and not windows server 2019 plus workstation pro.

I have checked the VMware manuals and I don't see T40 listed as supported for ESXi.

This would not surprise me if it was not supported because it is an entry level server.

But I thought it worth asking the question whether ESXi is supported on the T40 and might that be another way to go?

As you can guess I have only ever used VMware Workstations and not ESXi.

And this is the first time I have tried to run 8 VMs on Workstation.

Thank you for any advice you are able to offer in advance.

Best Regards 

Peter

• 

278 Posts

September 28th, 2021 04:00

Hello, PeterJones,

Thank you for choosing Dell.

I've checked technical guide and found follow information:

The PowerEdge T40 supports the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows Server 2016

Microsoft Windows Server 2019

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Source:

https://dell.to/3iy4OMn

Please ask me if you have any questions.

31 Posts

March 16th, 2022 07:00

Hi Maria,

I have not been here for a while. I went for 2 months rebooting my DELL T40 on Friday night and then Monday nights. Then one Monday night I forgot and I had no BSOD that week as I expected. And since January or so I have only done the backup/reboot on Friday nights.

My T40 is working perfectly on Windows 2019 Server plus running VMWare Pro for the VMs. 

I have developers dialing in to their Win X VMs and working on my development VMs just fine using RemotePC which is much easier to use than a VPN.

So all is great. My T40 works so well that when its time for a second machine I will put a second T40 on the rack I have in my living room. I also put in a UPS. It's amazing what can be done on just a T40.

For the entry level price performance you just can't go past it. I got a second hand micro 7040 as my desktop and I could not be happier being back with Dell.

Best Regards 

Peter

No Events found!