Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2011 04:00

Bios Update Failing R710 - USC - Catalog File Not Found

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade the bios on an older R710 we have in our cabinet.  I have recently upgrade 3 new R710 servers in our solution using the same method and this worked fine.  

Here's the steps I am taking:

- Using the DRAC card i am logging onto the console and booting the server into the system services I am accessing the Unified Server Configurator

- from here I am selecting platform update and then select the CD iso image I have uploaded to the server in our solution.  At first I thought the issue may of been because I am uploading the cd image from a remote location and it was timing out but in the end I am now doing this from a server on the same site so it is going over a gb link.

- To create the iso image I downloaded the following file:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R295777&SystemID=PWE_R710&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&deviceid=11809&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=10&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=443511

Renamed the file bios.exe and created an iso image.

When I point the USC tool at the mounted iso I type the name of the file, bios.exe, and click next.  After checking the file it then comes back with an error message saying catalogue file not found. 

I've tried the FTP option (after configuring network settings on the USC) using ftp.dell.com with no luck.  I get an error about network settings but I cannot see that the issue is.  When try and connected to the FTP server the network settings on the server seems to drop out and loose idrac access.

Anyone any ideas?  My preferred way is to try and update the Bios by mounting a CD

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2011 08:00

With the issues experienced, the routes to look at to do the update via the USC would be to update the DRAC, which is a moot point as at this point, any updates would need to be from another source for the time being.  Once updated, issues should not persist when doing updates via DRAC.  Alternatives to getting the update would be from the OS update packages; Windows, Red Hat bin files and so forth.  Other routes include using the Dell repository manager to create an ISO for the 710.  The OpenManage live disk in which you can boot the server to the virtual CentOS environment and run the Red Hat update packages. 

Repository Manager:

OpenManage Live:

1 Message

April 7th, 2019 08:00

Hi,

I have an iso v 6.5 but when I run it on USC it shows an error says "Catalog file not found. Make sure that the Windows (R) catalog and DELL (TM) update packages for Windows (R) are used"

I'm having USC version 1.7 and iDRAC 6 v2.9.

How do i check DELL TM and Windows R?

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

April 8th, 2019 07:00

can you elaborate on the v6.5 iso that you are using, it sounds like that version may be too old. The current version is 17.12, and if you have the latest idrac fw if 2.9, the older versions wont work. Since your idrac is already up to date, what else were you trying to update? Here is a link to the latest Server Update Utility (SUU), but its 9.2GB in size, so the download will take a while. Depending on the devices installed in your system, it might be easier to just download the specific fw updates for those items. 
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=twh73&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r710

#Iwork4Dell

No Events found!