Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2010 04:00

Bug in Broadcom Firmware

Hi,

I've made a new USB stick with the latest 6.4.0 Server updates on it. I've updated an R710 to all latest firmware. Except the NIC Firmware won't update. First it said the data was corrupt. So i tought my file was broken, so i downloaded the firmware again and now when updating from 5.2.7 to the new 6.0.1 it says return code wrapper.efi or something which i searched for on the internet

Not much info about it but it could mean the BIOS and iDRAC are not up to date. But that's not the case. iDRAC is 1.54 and BIOS is the new 2.2.10 so i wonder if there is anything wrong with the file placed on the FTP.

I think it's broken from Dell's side as i've tried it over and over again, also with another USB stick.

3 Posts

December 29th, 2010 05:00

Hi - I'm experiencing the same problem with my R710's using the Dell UEFI Unified Server Configurator on brand new systems with no operating system.  All BIOS and iDRAC firmware at latest releases too.  When I choose to connect to the Dell FTP site I get the "NicWrapper.efi" error.  When I connect to my NFS share on which I have extracted the contents of the SUU updates I get the error.  Same goes for the DVD I burned.  There has to be an issue with the update package...right???

5 Posts

December 30th, 2010 13:00

I've got the exact same problem!!!

I guess I'll stay with 5.2.7 for now, but I get the same errors that everyone else here is getting.

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

December 31st, 2010 09:00

There is an issue with the 6.0.1 file for the USC update. Dell is aware and attempting to resolve the issue, but I was told it wont get fixed until next week at the earliest. One can run the update package from within windows or linux rather than using the USC platform update method. Oh, for those that must have this done prior to the OS installation, you can use Repository Manager to create a bootable cd/dvd to accomplish this update in a pre-OS environment.

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Repository+Manager

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 17:00

I am running into this same problem too, updating via UEFI. My R710's are running VMware ESXi so I am limited to updating this way, or downloading the masive (now) mulit DVD update and burning it to disk. Does anyone know of a specific ETA on when Dell will get a good package uploaded?

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

January 4th, 2011 07:00

Dell is targeting to fix this issue this week.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2011 08:00

Anyone have an update on this?

It looks like a newer version is on the site:

Release Date:    1/5/2011
Version:    6.0.1, A05

Fixes and Enhancements
This release fixes the failure of this DUP to work in USC to update Broadcom Network Devices.

The previous firmware was the same version just revision A02.

Its not on the FTP server yet. I tried just this morning and got the same error. Unfortunately the USC doesn't show what revision the firmware is.

I did notice that BIOS 2.2.11 is also on the site but not on their FTP server either. Maybe these might show up at the same time???

5 Posts

January 13th, 2011 08:00

As of yesterday, this problem still was NOT fixed.

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

January 13th, 2011 11:00

My friend at Dell says there have been some complications that are preventing the release of a new bcom fw update. I should note that when it is replaced, the version will still show 6.0.1, since the payload is not changing. I ask him to check on the bios to see if the updated catalog will pickup that bios.

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

January 26th, 2011 08:00

the revised catalog has been posted as of yesterday, should be good to go.

No Events found!