Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2015 07:00

CPU upgrade

Hi 

I would like to know if I can upgrade a T20 CPU currently with a Pentium G3220 to a Intel Core i7 4790K?

Is it possible to do it? Any changes required to the Motherboard?

Thank you

27 Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

The processor shouldn't matter. The t20 supports upto I think 75watts of PCIE power which is standard for full size cards. I have a gtx 970 which worked with both the E3-1225v3 and the upgraded 4790k. I have a hunch the problem could be the power supply. If you are using the stock psu try changing it to a good 500 watt psu. I'm using EVGA supernova 550w. Just switching the psu helped me get better numbers on the stock on Inge graphics in benchmarks. The stock psu bottlenecks performance

27 Posts

April 5th, 2016 17:00

I upgraded mine from the E3-1225v3 to the 4790k with now issues. I have heard similar things about the G3220 model from others on this forum. Try searching you'll find those posts.

Only thing you have to do is on the first boot up after installing the 4790k, enable hyperthreading in the bios and let it run the diagnostic program.

However I will strongly recommend you upgrade the stock power supply to large one preferably Gold rated. The EVGA SuperNova 550W fits perfectly in the stock PSU's place. The stock PSU is very under powered and I saw increase in benchmark numbers especially one the Intel HD graphics after upgrading the CPU. The 4790k requires more power than any default processors Dell ships, so try to upgrade it and use the 8-pin to 24-pin converter to connect to the motherboard as mentioned in the posts here.

good luck

No Events found!