Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2011 22:00

Can T110 II tower server add a video card?

I just got my T110II, and the embedded Video card had some problems with my LCD monitor. I tried to add a PCI-E x16 video card, but the front panel light turned to orange instead of normal blue. Does anyone know that the server can add a regular PCI-E x16 video card? Thank you very much.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2011 06:00

Unfortunately support is rather limited when adding a 3rd party card of any sort that is uncertified to work with your Power Edge T110 II server.  More so, with a video card, it can be difficult to find a video card that will work error free.  The onboard video is  Matrox G200eW w/ 8MB memory integrated in Nuvoton WPCM450 (BMC controller) and supports 2D graphics only.  What I would advise as something to try would be a video card from Matrox to try to accommodate your video needs.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2011 18:00

First of all, Thank you very much for the answer, Todd. I still have few more questions. Does Dell sell any certified video card for T110II? If not, did the suggestion you give to me for having a video card from Matrox is only the possible solution? If it still doesn't work, do I just waste the money for buying a nonworking video card? Thanks again.

9.3K Posts

July 21st, 2011 08:00

Dell has never certified any videocards for any PowerEdge servers (even the low end ones that are really more like high end desktop computers). This doesn't mean it won't work, but you may need to try a different card (definitely one that doesn't require auxiliary power).

I used to own a PowerEdge SC400, which came with an AGP slot. Initially I used a GeForce4 Ti 4200. Later I tried upgrading to an ATI Radeon 9700, but couldn't get it to work (I returned the card to the store). When the ATI 9800 came out I tried that and it worked fine for me.

So, you may just need to try a different card, possibly a Matrox solution like Todd suggested.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2011 18:00

Thank you for the answer. I have a 400SC too and still working. I also added a AGP video card which is GeForce FX 5200 without any problem. That is why I can't understand the T110 II won't work with a add-on video card.

I have two PCI-E x16 video cards from my desktop (they are old and don't require auxiliary power) for testing and neither one will work (one of those two is fanless which I think that it use low power).

unfortunately, I am in Taiwan, and I can't return non-working computer products in here (unless it is a flaw product). That is why I can't just buy one to test. Otherwise I will just waste the money if it doesn't work. Also, it is so difficult to find a Matrox video card in here.

It looks like that I am stuck in here. :emotion-42:

No Events found!