Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

3 Posts

July 25th, 2019 09:00

Can't install OS on an old Poweredge 1750

Hey All, I'm currently trying to repurpose a Poweredge 1750 and after looking through different websites, i still can't figure out the issue. Here are the boot options I have: 1. Booting from CD ROM 2. Booting from Hard disk 3. Booting from Diskette 4. Booting from PXE Here is what I tried: 1. I tried booting with a USB and it didn't work (Found out it's not supported) 2. I installed a mini Kali ISO on a CD and tried to boot from there. It got to the installation screen and when I tried to install, it gave me the message "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU". I also tried regular and light versions of Kali. 3. I replaced the CD ROM drive with a CD/DVD drive to attempt installing from DVDs. My BIOS is reading the DVD drive as a ROM drive so it's not working. Is there any help anyone could give me? I'm really stuck. Thank you in advance! Note: My BIOS version is A07

• 

6.2K Posts

July 25th, 2019 16:00

Hello

It looks like you have two issues. The OS you are trying to install does not support the CPU architecture, and you don't have a DVD drive that will work with the server.

I think your CD idea will work, you just need to use an OS that supports the hardware. I don't know why you are using a server this old, but if there is not a good reason you should get a newer server. There are much newer servers that are quite inexpensive on the resale market. A newer system that is minimalist will be much more capable than the 1750. I suggest 11th generation or newer.

Here are some part numbers of DVD drives supported on the 1750: 1J255, M1687, 2M451

Thanks

July 26th, 2019 11:00

Hey @DELL-Daniel My 

Thank you for the response! Main reason at the moment is limited $ so I'm trying to get this old Poweredge to work with what I have. As for the DVD drive, I got it from Aventis (They sell Poweredges) and the DVD drive was supposed to be compatible. 

Would it be possible in finding a firmware update package for the Poweredge? Maybe try to update my version to an A12 or so. 

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 13:00

Yes, it looks like there is a DOS executable BIOS update on the 1750 support page.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=61w01

I think the one listed as Floppy is a DOS executable. You should be able to boot to DOS and run that file to perform the update. You may need to extract it first, instructions should be at the bottom of the page.

July 26th, 2019 18:00

Thanks! Guess that means I have to use a floppy, right? I'm getting one off Amazon. Fingers crossed!

• 

6.2K Posts

July 29th, 2019 08:00

A floppy is not required to run that update. You can boot to a CD ROM that is formatted as bootable with DOS. A floppy will be helpful though.

No Events found!