Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2005 13:00

Clustering PE1750's

could someone tell me about clustering and how it works? i have a several dozen 1750's duel xeon's 3 harddrives 30gb each bought for another project that has fallen thru and want to put these machines to use. i have been looking into doing some BXP stuff and was wondering could i cluster a dozen of these machines together and pool all those processors & harddrives together to make one large server? How do i do it ? what extra might i need?  any help and insight would be most appreciated

thanks 

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 6th, 2005 18:00

What OS did you want to cluster?

If it's Windows, Windows 2003 Enterprise can cluster 8 nodes, but you're going to need a fibre storage solution for the shared storage space (e.g. Dell|EMC CX500).

If you're familiar with Linux, you can look into a Beowulf cluster. I'm not familiar with the requirements for Beowulf clusters.

June 14th, 2005 08:00

do the servers have to be identical to cluster, or close?, i have a 2300 (dual 400), and a 6300 (quad 550)

what exactly does the SMB cable do?

are fibre drives, internal, or external?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 14th, 2005 12:00

A fibre channel storage solution for a 3+ node cluster will mean you'll want to look at a Dell|EMC CX-array of some sort (don't believe the AX100 is certified for clusters of more than 2 nodes). It's a stand-alone raid-capable 'array'. It comes with 2 storage processors each fully capable of handling the raid setup you want to use. The servers will use fibre channel cards to connect (thru a fibre channel switch) to the array.

If you wish to seriously look into this, be sure to have a solid budget, as a fibre channel solution isn't cheap. The HBAs, switches and then the array will easily take you over $40k.
No Events found!