Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2013 01:00

Dell 2700W UPS Error During Console Configuration of Management IP

Hi,

Recently, I purchase 4 set of Dell 2700W UPS for my rack. During console configuration of the UPS, this error keep popping up

In vThreadNotifUdp, sendto retuns with ERROR 2.

Any person encountered this error before, what the cause and solution for this error. Thanks in advance :)

• 

8.5K Posts

May 10th, 2013 10:00

Hi james.koh,

Are you able to add the UPS even with the error or is it preventing you from adding it? Are there any errors in the logs? The error that you are getting is referring to the UDP communication with the devices. Are you a quick scan or an ip address scan to add the UPS?

8 Posts

May 17th, 2013 03:00

There isn't error log. After I configured the static management IP on the UPS. I plug the UPS to my Juniper EX4200 switch configured with vlan. The UPS management IP port status went down. I putty in through console show the management port went down. I had tried connect a laptop to test the switch port with no issue. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 17th, 2013 07:00

Can you plug a laptop directly into the management port and see if it has connectivity? Do you have the multi-ups management software installed? Can it access the UPS?

8 Posts

May 19th, 2013 19:00

if I use a cross cable and connect to the UPS management network port, the interface will go up. But if I plug it to the switch, the interface doesn't go up. I had test the switch interface with my laptop and it is working fine. But it just does work with the UPS management network. I'm really out of ideas how to proceed.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 20th, 2013 08:00

If you are able to access the management card via crossover it sounds like the UPS management card is working fine and that the issue is something between the switch and card not communicating properly. Does it have link lights? Is spanning tree protocol enabled on the switch?

8 Posts

May 20th, 2013 19:00

The switch port does not have link lights when connected to the UPS but if I connect the laptop using the same UPS management IP, the switch & laptop ethernet port link light comes up. It is just a single layer switch that why I'm quite puzzled this issue could have happened. Below is the junos configuration of the switch interface for the UPS. I do not see any configuration issue.  

ge-1/0/36 {

description "UPS01";

ether-options {

link-mode full-duplex;

speed {

1g;

}

}

unit 0 {

family ethernet-switching {

port-mode access;

vlan {

members Management;

}

}

}

}

ge-1/0/37 {

description "UPS02  ";

ether-options {

link-mode full-duplex;

speed {

1g;

}

}

unit 0 {

family ethernet-switching {

port-mode access;

vlan {

members Management;

}

}

}

}

• 

8.5K Posts

May 21st, 2013 08:00

Try connecting a laptop to the UPS and updating the UPS firmware. Here is the tool for updating the firmware: www.dell.com/.../dell-line-interactive-tower-ups-500t

And here is the update itself:

www.dell.com/.../dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-1920r

8 Posts

May 21st, 2013 20:00

I tried update the UPS firmware using RS232 or NMC (direct cross cable to laptop and SNMP enabled). Both failed to connect to the UPS to retrieve the firmware info. I notice from the serial console that the network interface of the UPS keep going down and up. Therefore, I'm not sure how I could go about to update the firmware of the UPS.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 08:00

Try to power off the UPS and take out the network management card, then power it on for 30 seconds. After this power it back off and put the network management card back in and see if it still gives the errors. It does support hotswap, but we want to be sure that the it detects the removal.

ftp.dell.com/.../dell-line-interactive-tower-ups-500t_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

page 48

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 19:00

I have a total of 4 set of Dell UPS 2700W that facing this issue. I have just arranged one set which had faulty fan unit replaced by Dell and the network card is re-installed as per your instruction. There wasn't any errors reported at the serial console connection. I tried using the Dell Firmware Update Utiliy through NMC still refused to connect to the UPS as shown below with snmp enabled.

Since the NMC interface is more stable than previous, is it advisable to upgrade the firmware via the web browser interface rather than from the utility? 

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 01:00

I managed to connect to the UPS using USB cable with the Firmware Update Utility. The firmware version is the same as the one you instruct me to install. Do I still go ahead with the upgrade?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 24th, 2013 07:00

Yes, let's reflash it and see if it helps.

8 Posts

May 26th, 2013 21:00

Before I do a reflash, do I need to power down the equipment connected to the UPS.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 28th, 2013 08:00

It does not require you to power off the attached devices during the reflash, but if you are able to have the downtime on those devices it might be helpful for it to redetect the load after the firmware reflash is complete.

No Events found!