Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2013 17:00

Dell C6100 Node No Longer Boots

A few hours ago, one of the nodes on a Dell C6100 4 node server stopped responding while I was actively working on it. After 5 hours of troubleshooting, here is what I have found...

- No video output
- Because there is no video output, the BIOS is not accessible
- Cleared CMOS, same story
- Reseated and shuffled all the RAM - nothing
- Ping / traceroute timeout

However, the node is receiving power from the backplane. The IPMI ethernet port's activity lights turn on as soon as the node is plugged into the chassis and the blue indicator light appears when the indicator button is pressed on the front bezel. When the power button is pressed, the HDD lights go green and it spins up but the eth0 port still shows no activity. Essentially, the server is receiving power but does not boot with no signs of error LEDs or beeping errors.

IPMI is accessible via the web however the event log only shows http://d.pr/i/pPK5 and power control via that interface fails as well.

IPMI firmware: 1.22
BIOS version: Not sure, can't access it

Is this a bricked motherboard that should just be replaced?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 15th, 2013 13:00

Hello

Since you have parts to swap I would recommend testing the node in another slot, taking the system to minimum to POST, and swapping with known good memory and CPU. If you don't find issues with any of the other components then I would replace the system board.

Thanks

1 Message

December 11th, 2013 08:00

Any update on this? 

I am having the same problem. I have 16 c6100 chassis, 96 nodes and in the past two months this exact same thing has happened to 4 of the nodes at random.

1 of the nodes was shipped this way but the other three had BIOS and fan fully updated and two died this past week and another last month.

I have tried swapping known good RAM from another server, swapping hard drive, resetting CMOS battery.  The impacted nodes will not work in another slot but a working node will work in the failed nodes slot.  Reseated all cables, pulled power from chassis to reset and yet nothing will bring these nodes back to life.

I plan on returning the 4 faulty nodes but would love to find the cause of the problem since it appears to becoming a trend for these to fail and will begin to impact production.

6 Posts

January 6th, 2020 19:00

Has anyone tried connecting into the serial port on these and see what error messages exist there?

No Events found!