Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2012 06:00

Dell PowerEdge 1850

Hi, 

I have been given an 1850 to play with but I am having difficulty finding the RAID options. I have looked all over the forum and it seems to suggest that I need to press CTRL+M however no option appears during bootup.

Currently it goes through the stages of

LSI logic config CTRL+A

Intel Boot agent

IPMI CTRL+S 

BMI CTRL + E

There is no part that requires a CTRL+M, would anyone be able to suggest where I am going wrong?

990 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 07:00

This server shipped with 3 Riser combinations:

I/O Riser with no ROMB and PCI-X slots

I/O Riser with ROMB and PCI Express slots

I/O Riser with ROMB and PCI-X slots

It is possible you have the first option, with no RAID options.  It is also possible the RAID key is missing that would enable RAID on the latter 2 options and the Ctrl M capability.  Here is a link to user's guide to check your system: http://dell.to/O6Dtie

Regards,

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 08:00

Well, back to what Geoff said ... the riser card contains the RAID chip.  If you don't have the riser option that contains the RAID chip, then even a RAID key (used to activate RAID) will not help.  You need to be sure of the riser you have before purchasing anything.

RAID:

store.flagshiptech.com/.../Dell-PowerEdge-1850-PCI%252dX-RAID-ROMB-Riser-Board-V3-W8228.html

Non-RAID:

store.flagshiptech.com/dell-poweredge-1850-pci-x-non-raid-riser-board-y3939

Compare the pictures with your riser.  Note the memory slot on the RAID version.  If your riser does not have the memory slot, then you need to get a new riser too.  

The original 2850 motherboards were not compatible with PCIe risers - it required a motherboard upgrade too ... I don't know if the 1850 has the same kind of restrictions on which riser may be used with which motherboard.  Maybe Geoff can shed some light on this part.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 07:00

The other option is that you have the right riser but do not have the RAID key (may have been removed at some point before selling).  As Geoff suggested, check the riser, but here is the documentation on activating the RAID controller:

support.dell.com/.../F6586A00.pdf.

Another possibility is that you have the correct hardware, but it is not enabled.  Boot to BIOS Setup (F2), Integrated Devices, and set Embedded RAID to RAID Enabled.  If you can't (it is not an option), then you don't have the required hardware.

Cool thanks for your help.

The rider in this one DOES have the memory slot and the chip with heat sink on. Am I right in saying that I need a RAID battery, memory module and RAID key for it to allow me to use hardware RAID?

Thanks, seems that I do have the correct riser card but I need to get hold of a raid key in order to make it work.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Yes, that is what is in that "Activating the Integrated RAID Controller" document I linked for you.  The onboard RAID will not function without those three parts.

Something like this:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=as_li_ss_tl

No Events found!