Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

11 Posts

December 1st, 2022 22:00

Dell PowerEdge R510 Black Screen But Post & OS Boots

Hello there, 

I am a long time reader here and maybe a few post, however I have a Dell PowerEdge R510 that is having a bit of a black screen issue after updating firmware & iDRAC license. The server will fully post and boot into the OS (Live CentOS6 USB). I have SSH to the OS and SSH to iDRAC (if need be I can even get to the serial connection). If I try to load the iDRAC MGMT page I get hit with SSL errors that I can't get pass and even IF I DID the iDRAC MGMT site will not load or some times it will but will time out and give the error's 404 Not Found and or 500 Internal Server Error.

What I have try so far:

• Power cycle
  • Power drain
  • Remove CMOS battery
  • Remove all USB and or RAID/ANY cards 
  • Pullout HDD/SSD out
  • remove PSU2
  • Remove all but two sticks of RAM
  • Reseat both cpu's
  • Reseat iDRAC
  • Try to boot with only 1cpu 1RAM stick
  • Googles for days on end
  • Repeat combinations of above^
  •  
  • Teaches server how to fly off of a 5-story building *not really*

I am at a full lost here and don't know which way or what to try from here, so if ANYONE can help me out I am willing to give it a go and or set a time to remote in and take a look or whatever!! 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

December 1st, 2022 23:00

Is the same behavior observed when monitor is connected to front and rear VGA port? Did you have any graphics card installed on the server? Can you reset BIOS to default setting and check the behavior? 

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 10:00

Q:Is the same behavior observed when monitor is connected to front and rear VGA port? 

A:Yes

Q:id you have any graphics card installed on the server?

A: No (always has been stock)

Q: Can you reset BIOS to default setting and check the behavior? 

A: Yes and the screen shows data and is working with the BIOS reset pin jumped. (Hit head on wall) 

Should I be looking for a setting or what would be the next best move?

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 23:00

UPDATE:

I got the server to boot from a HDD running Windows server 2019 OS and I have ran a the updates BIOS_PYCXX_WN32_1.14.0_01.EXE & Dell iDRAC6, v.1.27, A00. In hope to roll back to the last good working firmware from Dell website.

Its late here will report back. 

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 18:00

UPDATE-2:

After running BIOS_PYCXX_WN32_1.14.0_01.EXE & PER510_IDRAC6_FRMW_WIN_R239776.EXE (due to Dell iDRAC6, v.1.27, A00 failed) I now have iDRAC working and I can login with no issues, HOWEVER I can not lunch the Virtual Console in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and/or old school IE. Even after google and turning off Java 8 x32 Security and etc, all it will do is download a file viewer.jnlp.

Oh and when I move the rest BIOS pin's back I still have a blacked out screen. 

???

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 20:00

UPDATE-3:

I can now login to iDRAC 6 lunch the Virtual Console with Firefox an using Java 7 on a old laptop that I use as a MGMT PC, however if I try to go into System Services. It hangs at "Entering System Services... Starting Unified Server Configurator" and will not load pass this point and still Black Screen when hooking up to the server VGA port font and back.

What is then name move or thing should I try?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

December 4th, 2022 04:00

What is your current iDRAC and BIOS version installed on the server? Is POST is visible through iDRAC Virtual Console?

11 Posts

December 4th, 2022 23:00

Q: Is POST visible through iDRAC Virtual Console?

A: Yes it is.

Q: What is your current iDRAC version?

A: Firmware Version 2.92 (Build 05).

Q: What is your current BIOS version?

A: unknown. Does not say in System Setup or in iDRAC under Server Information and/or System Details. 

Other: Lifecycle Controller 1.7.5.4

Could you tell me what Versions of BISO , iDRAC & Lifecycle Controller I need to be running as well what is the next more?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

December 5th, 2022 00:00

You have latest iDRAC installed on the server.

1.14.0 is latest BIOS. You can try to install the same. Link below

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=pycxx&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r510

As you are not able to enter "Unified Server Configurator" you can try repair of LC by uploading below package to iDRAC FW update UI page

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=80xj1&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r510 

11 Posts

December 7th, 2022 15:00

Shine,

When I try to run the BIOS (BIOS_PYCXX_WN32_1.14.0_01.EXE) it errors out with "Failed to get the BIOS Version."..

Correct & yes I have ran that before and I still can load "Unified Server Configurator".. If I try to go into System Services at the boot screen, it will just hang at "Entering System Services... Starting Unified Server Configurator" and will not load pass this point.

Thanks

• 

3.7K Posts

December 7th, 2022 20:00

Hello if I may, how about we try this? https://dell.to/3Bi11fw

11 Posts

December 13th, 2022 14:00

Young E,

Still hanging at "Entering System Services... Starting Unified Server Configurator"

• 

3.7K Posts

December 13th, 2022 16:00

Hello at this point, I regret to tell you- I seriously suspect it's time we needed to replace the motherboard. Should you wish to do so, please call in and raise an official ticket.

No Events found!