Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2013 22:00

Dell PowerEdge R710 - NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300 PCIe X1

I recently got a Dell PowerEdge R710 system.  My hardware configuration is 2 X (x4) slots and 2 X (x8) >> which was a riser that has PCIe X16 slot in place of the X8 slot.  If anyone is looking to see what graphics cards work with the Dell PowerEdge R710 ... this is one card that does.  Be aware, according to Dell, the X8 slot with riser being used as an X16 slot can not have over 25 watts of power and the X4 slots can not have a total greater than 15 watts Plus the system won't POST if the risers aren't installed in the system. Be aware there are two (2) versions of this card (x1) and (x16)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133372

Here is how I installed the card: 

Step 1:  Install video card
Step 2:  Leave the standard VGA cable attached to the onboard video port
Step 3:  Reboot and select F2 to go to BIOS
Step 4:  BIOS Menu:  > Integrated Devices   > Embedded Video Controller > hit the "+" to disable the onboard video

Step 5:  shutdown system and swap the monitor cables from the onboard video to the PCIe card.  Basically removing the VGA onboard and connecting the DM59 attachment for the NVS 300 card.

Step 6:  start system up install the driver

Step 7:  For Linux, the x1 doesn't work well with Ubuntu 13.10; however, it works fine with CentOS 6.4. 

(*) when i talked with Dell Enterprise support, they suggested the x1 card over the x16 card (assuming you have a riser) because they stated doesn't work well with the x16 cards.  Will keep you all posted.

October 3rd, 2020 03:00

Great work brother....my quadro nvs 290 worked very well...thank you so much for this info

No Events found!