Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2010 22:00

Dell PowerEdge T710 - Kernel-Power Reboots Randomly

Just did it again as I was typing. I just received it 2 days ago. BIOS 1.3.6. It randomly reboots at an undetermined amount of time. Just realized others were having the same issue. I am going to pack it up and send it back if I can't resolve this by a firmware or BIOS upgrade. I did buy it refurbished to save some money. If anyone is experiencing the same issue feel free to add to this thread. 

23 Posts

March 19th, 2010 22:00

In the Windows System Log it is listed as a Critical - Kernel-Power Event ID 41 - Task Category (63) - 9 random reboots now in 2 days. I have it connected to a brand new APC XS 1500.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I am glad I have not activated my copy of Windows 2008 R2.

23 Posts

March 20th, 2010 18:00

Also every time it reboots it has to reconfigure memory (very 1st thing I see in the boot process). Wondering if this is normal. I did receive the server with 2 different 2GB UDIMM sticks. One is Samsung and the other is Hynix. I contacted Dell and they are going to replace the ram with Genuine Dell memory. So I am hoping it is memory related.

23 Posts

March 21st, 2010 12:00

Server died this morning. I am returning it to Dell.

23 Posts

March 24th, 2010 20:00

Dell is dispatching a service tech out to my house. I was told that the T710s have a new hardware service kit which includes a newer model system board.

23 Posts

March 25th, 2010 13:00

Dell Service Tech came out and replaced the UDIMMs and PS. We both believe it is not fixed. I am leaning towards a Windows 2008 R2 issue at the moment. I am going to leave it running in the OS and the diagnostics outside the OS to see if I get different results.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2010 10:00

I am having the same issue with a new T710 I purchased 4 months ago.  Just received this exact error and reboot last night.  Please keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same.  I am also running 2008 R2 Enterprise with 48 GB RAM.  I noticed the "configuring RAM" when starting the server but was told a while back that it was normal.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 26th, 2010 11:00

The "configuring memory" message is normal and can be longer on a cold boot.  All systems must first configure memory, this one just tells you what it is doing.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2010 13:00

This was painful to read.  We documented our experiences beginning in February at www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Servers/Q_25154487.html

Not that it would have helped you; we never got to the bottom of it, but the problem went away when we swapped a power supply from a newer server.

Now comes Dell, just last week, proactively letting T710 owners know that Dell found a defect in the power supply firmware that causes random resets.  What do you know.  So apparently a power supply firmware update will fix this.  If they haven't already contacted you, call Dell and they'll email you a link to the firmware update.

No Events found!