Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

Dell Poweredge R610 Server 2012 R2 - Unable to Update Frimware

I am working with an acquired Dell Poweredge R610 with the latest BIOS (6.4.something) and I want to apply the firmware updates recommended by dell support website (or Dell Repository Manager) so that I can get rid of amber warnings on SSD drives installed in the PERC H700.

Issue: The Firmware update will not install

I have tried:

1) Download any one firmware executable and run on server. Result is first a warning that the update is not for my configuration.  It then fails to update because it is not for my configuration.

2) I have loaded my server with Hyper-V Core, then Server 2012 R2 Standard, then Sever 2012 R2 Datacenter and applied all updates.  No matter what I do, even though the copy I download is for the configuration I am running, it fails.

3) I have tried Data Repository, put them all on a USB, and then try to apply them, and it says there is nothing to update.

4) I try creating an SUU USB stick, and update.  It again reports not the right version.

5) I tried creating a bootable ISO, and it does not work either.

6) I had a server guy with 15 year experience come in and look at this.  He was convinced that when I put on the real 2012 R2 (from Hyper-V core) that this was going to work.  He says this makes no sense and to reach out to Dell.  I am. Help!?

I download Server 2012 R2 DUPs, I apply to windows Server 2012 R2, and it says it is not for my system.  I really need help here.

Note: My service tag says I have win server 2008 running, which I do not. I doubt that at the point of install it is checking this and blocking me, but it might.  I thought I would mention it.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 4th, 2015 06:00

PJ-DC,

There isn't anything checking and then blocking you. There are a couple things it could be, but we would need some additional information to know. First off, would you send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE with your svc tag, this is so I can verify if this is an OEM model, which would have a customized BIOS and other versions.

Also, have you attempted to update via the LifeCycle Controllers (F10)  Platform Update by chance? 

Let me know and we can go from there.

7 Posts

August 4th, 2015 07:00

Chris,

I have tried the platform update.  It result in nothing to update. (like #3)

Paul

• 

8.4K Posts

August 5th, 2015 09:00

The system doesn't show to be an OEM model. Let see if we can manually push the iDrac firmware to start. Download this update, and run it, it will unzip 2 files. Open the iDrac web interface and then select the Update Tab. Hit browse and then point to the firmimg.d6 file that the download extracted. Then select Execute. 

Let me know if the iDrac updates, and if you are able to run any other update after the iDrac update.

7 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

Chris,

My iDRAC was 1.98. The one you asked for was 1.99. I  downloaded ESM_Firmware_0F12K_WN32_1.99_A00.EXE which was a windows based install (not an iDRAC with two files as you thought).  It  installed without issue. 

I then tried another install of the firmware using the windows based install and it still gives one warning:

"Your Update Package is running on an unsupported new operating system. Do you wish to continue?"

I click Yes.

It then open the box that collects inventory.

results in a message that reads "The Update Package is not compatible with your system configuration."

What I set for download from the dell support website was for OS was "Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 SP1."  My current OS is "Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter."  Prior to this attempt, I had upgraded from Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard in an attempt to overcome this issue.  I have also downloaded drivers for the only other nearby option "Microsoft Windows Server 2012," which also yields the same missmatch.

This is the same issue I have been having no matter what sources, version, or method I use to update. I am always blocked by something, or it says there is nothing to update.

I hope this helps,

PJ

7 Posts

August 6th, 2015 07:00

Let me revise. DRAC v1.99 is not working.  The moment I login to the iDRAC is logs me back out again. I am going to re-install 1.98, which was the version recommended for my system by the Dell Drive download page.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2015 06:00

It looks like 1.99 totally killed my iDRAC. I can no longer login and stay logged in (it logs me right back out again). I can not use it to back out to 1.98.  I am unable top use the 1.98 download DUP package for windows to restore it.  It just crashes.  I really need help now.  This is worse than I was in before because of a bad 1.99.

How do I get back to the stable 1.98 without the iDRAC and without the Windows DUP?

DISREGARD: 1.99 works. I just had to clear all cookies.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Chris - BUMP.  

I am going live with this server Saturday, and I would like to get the firmware updated before then.

The most info about this issue is in the reply "Posted by PJ-DC on 5 Aug 2015 6:43 PM"

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

PJ-DC

• 

8.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 14:00

Sorry for the delay. On the link I gave you download the file that is titled "iDRAC6_1.99_A00_FW_IMG.exe" , it isn't the Windows package you listed. It's link is just below.

Run that one and it will extract the files as I described.

7 Posts

August 11th, 2015 16:00

Chris,

I sent a lot of messages in you absence, so we are off track.  1.99 installed ok.  What was the issue was that I had to clear my browser cookies for 1.99 to work.

I have tried with the new 1.99 to do the updates (see the message above), and it still does not let me install the firmware due to a mismatch (see message above for details). This message should help you to assess why I am being blocked from doing firmware updates.

No Events found!