Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 9th, 2018 11:00

Dell Poweredge T410 3-disk RAID (1?) - E1810 Drive 0 failed, blinks amber

OK - I have only recently started to manage this server.  It uses a Perc S300 RAID card, and has 3 of 6 possible drives installed.  Drive 0 blinks amber.

I get a windows boot menu, but the server will not fully boot.

I know I need to replace the drive.

a) Procedure to rebuild array?  The CTRL+R setup of the RAID card does not give many options.

It is BIOS ver 1.4.7 by the way

b) Any thoughts as to why windows will not boot despite being visible, I get a windows boot menu showing improper shutdown, then it freezes at a black screen when I try to boot.

Going to order a drive now, FWIW

The RAID manager shows a degraded array.

Thanks - Any help is most appreciated

-MM

311 Posts

April 9th, 2018 14:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

What version of windows are you running? When you go into the controller BIOS, you will see under Virtual Disks what RAID is configured (more than likely a RAID 5) and if the Virtual Disk is failed or degraded. Let me know which it is. On the right hand side you will see the status of the drives. If drive 0 is failed, try removing it and seeing if that will allow to boot into the OS. If it will, be sure and get a good backup of your data if you already don't have one.

Here is a link on replacing the drive once you get a replacement.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/sln290972/perc-s100-s110-s300-how-to-replace-a-failed-hard-drive? 

April 10th, 2018 08:00

ok - so looks like the site here is working again.. or whatever.

I will DM the service tag shortly

the only RAID software installed on this server shows all 3 drives as ok, does not give me options to rebuild etc.

bios for the RAID shows still drives 1,2 as ok, virtual drive as degraded, and the new drive 0 as a hot spare [or whatever the terminology is]

I got booted to safe mode just fine, set disk checks for partitions  C & D

those are running currently, hopefully I get a boot.

but - went from blinking amber - green - green [drives 0,1,2] to

green, amber/green [blinking], green

but I can still get it to sort of boot.  I am hoping I can get a full boot after the drive scans complete

so - at this point, questions are -

what do I need to install assuming I can get windows to boot, to rebuild drive 0 properly

what do I need to do to diagnose / fix drive 1 green/amber blinking

this server is getting replaced asap but I need to get operational ASAP

any direction would be very much appreciated

6th reply attempt. hopefully this works and I don't have to re-type the details...again

ok - so, 3 drives in the drive bay

drive 0 HAD 2 amber blinking lights - each drive has 2 LEDs

NOW -

drive 0 - 2 solid green leds

Drive 1 - 1 green solid, 1 blinking amber [fast]

Drive 2 - 1st green fast blink, second green, solid

lost here!

PS - it is a RAID 5

311 Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Once the replacement drive is set to hot spare, you will need to boot into the OS before the drive will start to rebuild since the S300 is a software RAID.

The left hand LED is drive activity and the the right hand LED is the status.

Drive 0 as a hot spare should be solid green and then start blinking green slowly when it starts to rebuild. 

Drive 1 is indicating it is failed with the status blinking 4 times per second amber, but it should show in the controller BIOS failed as well. Not sure why it is showing OK in the BIOS and the status showing failed. 

Drive 2 looks normal. Steady green is online

I would recommend booting into the OS and see if drive 0 rebuilds back into the array. If it does, reassess drive 1 and see what the indicators show.

Let me know how it goes.

April 11th, 2018 09:00

Also - nothing is called "OMSA" from the 100s of downloadable items from that link.

do I want open managed server administrator managed node?
open manage BMC deployement?

Openmanage essentials?

which is the EXACT download I want?

There is only a "secure system management' from the drop down.  it does not show anything even close to OMSA...

Trying again with a new post, maybe this'll post properly first try!

Drive lights, from drive 0 on the

need to get this resolved, and know what exactly the status lights mean..

311 Posts

Hi,

Here is the link for the OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) download. Select Systems Management in the Category drop down. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-t410/drivers

Once OMSA is installed you can see the status of the drives. It does sound as if HD 1 is in predictive fail and should be replaced if it is. It will continue to work for now, but it is expected to fail in the future based on the errors seen on the drive. You can also see the disk status under Physical Disks in the controller BIOS (CTRL R).

Thanks,

These forums STINK.

This is my 3rd attempt, AGAIN to get a post to... post,.

I click POST, I go to the main dell support page, lose my post.

Let's see if this works

OK - so I've gotten the system to boot.

Shared folders, QB, some other software works.  I can't seem to get my exchange server working just yet - but I don't want to access the server locally until payroll etc is complete.

I left yesterday with partitions for C & D on the RAID running chkdsk /f /r scan/repair

So - I am booted now.  Solid green on HD - 0,2

Flashing green/amber on HD 1

I don't think drive 0 did a proper rebuild, but I'm not sure, and I can't reboot to even check the BIOS until payroll is complete for today.

I need to know -  what software should be running in windows server 2008 for the drive management?

Where can I download it, since it doesn't appear to be installed?

I did not set up this server, it wasn't set up in the best fashion, and I'm getting quite frustrated, both with the computer/server itself, and the lack of basic functionality here on the dell forum, and the $299 charge it would cost me to even TALK to a dell tech.

Hope there's some more info forthcoming.

ps - this is now the 5th attempt to post this.trying a different browser now.  the forum software really STINKS

April 11th, 2018 10:00

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

311 Posts

Hi,

The Hard-Drive Status Indicators can be found on page 19 of the Hardware Owner'sManual

http://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-t410/manuals

You want to download 

Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node(windows - 64 bit), v8.5

here's the drive log info from what I could find:

rtp1.jpgrpt2.jpg

• 

6.2K Posts

April 16th, 2018 10:00

If the virtual disk fails to rebuild then you may need to recreate the virtual disk. Deleting and recreating the virtual disk will be data destructive, so you should plan for a back, restore, and reinstallation after the new virtual disk is created.

The S-series controllers are driver-based controllers. Because they are driver and not hardware controllers they are more susceptible to issues caused by software problems. The S-series also have very limited capabilities in comparison to hardware controllers, so there is no way to perform a retag or other virtual disk recovery operations that are possible on hardware controllers.

If the rebuild has stalled or will not complete then you can reseat the drive to start another rebuild. I suggest restarting the operating system to verify the rebuild status. OMSA does not always update properly, so it may show the rebuild is 1% when it is actually higher or complete. Resarting the system should force OMSA to get current information.

Thanks

No Events found!