Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 10:00

Dell R720 & ESXi 4.1 U2

All -

I don't churn servers very often here and this being my first 12G server -- just curious on ways the collective have updated software/firmware on these servers knowing it will be used for ESXi 4.1 ?

Is there an all-in-one ISO update DVD/ISO that you have attached, updated then ran the ESX install ? Or do you update everything after the ESX install ? I don't have the local repository of updates on my LAN, which would be nice.

Also, to my understanding ESX 4.1 doesn't support UEFI, can anyone confirm ?

Best,

• 

6.2K Posts

July 10th, 2012 11:00

Hello searching

The easiest way I have found for performing updates is via the lifecycle controller. If you boot to the LCC you can choose to perform updates. You can direct it to our FTP site for updates(ftp.us.dell.com).

ESXi 5.0 introduced UEFI boot mode to VMware. Versions prior to 5.0 do not support UEFI.

Thanks

July 10th, 2012 11:00

Thanks Daniel -- I'll give that a shot!!

July 11th, 2012 07:00

All --

I attempted to use the lifecycle controller to run updates, but every time i try to assign a STATIC IP, i get a "cannot save data".

any thoughts ?

Lifecycle controller 2 - 1.0.8.2

UEFI 2.3

July 11th, 2012 09:00

Correction, it reads "cannot save network settings" and the code version is 1.0.8.42

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

July 11th, 2012 10:00

I have seen that as well on a brand new M620. then one day it just worked. I sugest you open a case with tech support, and if they have to replace hardware, please ask them to open a case with IPS and have the parts captured for analysis. Hopefully they can fix it without replacing parts.

18 Posts

January 16th, 2013 07:00

I too am experiencing the "Unable to save network settings" when setting a static IP on the lifecycle controller of a new R720. Any updates on this?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 16th, 2013 09:00

Hello Jim

It was explained to me that the LCC tests the connection before saving. If it is not able to make a network connection on the port being configured then it will not save the settings. I would suggest enabling DHCP. If it is unable to pull a DHCP address, given that you have a DHCP server, then I would troubleshoot that issue.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

June 20th, 2013 07:00

I don't know if y'all have tried this, but in my experience, the nic that you are trying to configure must have link or the settings will not save properly. If you have link on the nic, try this: Make sure a nic cable with link is connected to the nic. Power down the system gracefully via the OS, disconnect power cable(s), wait 30 seconds to 1 minute. Plug power cords back in. NOTE: the system should NOT power back on automatically at this point. Don't power the system on until the front LCD panel lights up on its own, or if you press one of the lcd buttons, the panel lights up. Then, after LCD panel lights up, go ahead and power the system on and try to save LC settings. Please let me know if this works or not.  

1 Message

February 4th, 2014 11:00

This FTP site has all youll need for the R720 including the ESX ISO and driver updates.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/poweredge-r720.html

No Events found!