Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 21st, 2016 13:00

Dell R730 Came without a service tag

I bought a dell poweredge r730 from amazon the unit came without a service tag. When i boot it the unit I entered a service tag that did not seem to be in the Dell system (as instructed by the seller). I then registered the service tag with Dell and Dell states that it is register but now when I try to look it up (I purchased a idrac8 license) it won't let me because it states the service tag cannot be found. Any suggestions? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2016 14:00

Hello.

Did the seller tell you why the server did not have a service tag at the time of purchase, may be because the system board was replaced? What procedure did you follow while attempting to enter the service tag?

December 21st, 2016 20:00

Yes correct neither did the chassis. It did have a new board. So I just made up a service tag (that is what the seller told me to do) and register with Dell using the Dell Registration Service Tag page (www.onlineregister.com/.../

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 08:00

We do not make up service tags, use the original service tag and follow the steps below:

Here are the steps to change the Service Tag after motherboard replacement:

1. Boot up the system

2. Press to enter the System Setup

3. Review Setup information and click on Service Tag Settings

4. Enter the Service Tag. Note that you can only enter the Service Tag when the text field is empty. Ensure that you enter the correct tag as it cannot be updated or changed once entered.

5. Click OK

Note further that 13G servers have Easy Restore feature that allows you to restore your service tag and other system configuration data after replacing the system board. This data restoration is prompted by BIOS once a new system board is detected. If you weren't prompted, then enter the LifeCycle Controller (LCC) to allow the system to re-sync tag information. Exit the LCC and  wait whether you can to import the original service tag. Ensure that the BIOS of the new system board is up to date.

December 22nd, 2016 08:00

Again what if the board or the chassis do not have a service tag how do I find the service tag.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 09:00

Every Dell server has a unique identifier in the name of the service tag. There is usually a sticker on the system chassis with the service tag or express service code which is this unique identifier. Contact your re-seller directly for service tag information. By the way, do you see a Dell logo on system POST?

No Events found!