Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2015 18:00

Dell R820 Power Supply firmware fail

I updated the firmware today on my R820 server, which I have done on several other Dell PE's of similar if not the same model. This time something odd happened. The whole unit powered off and wouldn't come back on. I left it there for quite a few minutes to see if it was just doing it's thing and would power itself back on. The front of the server had lost power completely. I couldn't get the power button to work or anything. Eventually, I had to pull the plugs and then plug it back in and I was able to fire it up again.

Well, now I get a power supply configuration error detected error on boot. If I look at OpenManage, it says that PS1 is fine, gives me the readings, etc. If I look at PS2, it says NA for everything except it says Presence Detected Configuration Error.

They were both working fine prior to this update, so I dont know what happened.

Any way to resolve this for the power supply in question?

Thanks.

-Jason

• 

6.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 10:00

Hello Jason

It sounds like the FW update may have failed and the PSU will likely need to be replaced. I would suggest that you try to perform the FW update again. If that is not successful then you should try powering on the system with just PSU 2 in the system. If the PSUs are at different FW revisions then a mismatch will occur and one will be disabled, so PSU 2 may not come online with PSU 1 in the system.

Thanks

2 Posts

May 5th, 2015 06:00

Thank you very much. Your response was exactly what solved the problem.

With both Power supplies in the system, I re-flashed it again. It rebooted automatically but still had the issue. You were correct in that I had to remove PS1 in order for the system to properly detect PS2 on its own. 

With PS2 being the only one installed, I fired it up and flashed it, by itself. 

Once that was done, I put PS1 back in, and now with both back in, it booted up and is showing both having the same firmware versions and that mismatch error is completely gone.

Thank you very much!!

28 Posts

June 1st, 2015 21:00

thank you for solving these problem for us

May 21st, 2019 05:00

I have the same problem but I do not know how to solve the problem Please help me
No Events found!