Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

C

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2023 12:00

Dell R820 dedicated iDRAC interface issues

Good afternoon,

I have a Dell R820 that I use to run some VMs. I use the iDRAC dedicated NIC to manage my servers and recently I have been experiencing some issues. I first noticed this when I stood up a new server on the network and used the iDRAC's IP address by accident. When I realized my mistake I checked the port on the switch that the iDRAC was plugged in to but saw now machine using that IP.

I decided to change the Dell R820s IP instead of updating my CISCO server. I went into the configuration utility on boot and looked at my iDRAC network settings.

I saw that the IP address had reverted to factory default, and no NIC was selected or enabled for iDRAC.

The issue is as follows.

When I attempt to enable iDRAC and select the dedicated enterprise NIC I get the error that some settings cannot be enabled. I can confirm that I have an enterprise license for these serves and so am able to use the dedicated NIC. I can also confirm that I get link lights both at the switch and at the enterprise NIC. I can also confirm that I have attempted to use the network daughter card instead of the dedicated NIC and have encountered the same issue.

I have also ensured that the port on the switch side is open for connection (It was working previously and no config changes have been made to this switch).

I used a cable tester to test the connection between the iDRAC and the switch, and all the wires tested green.

I was wondering if there was anything more I can do to get this iDRAC back up. I am able to ping the ESXi server, when I noticed this issue. So far I have not seen anything relevant to my issue online.

Thanks,

Candleja-

• 

4.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2023 18:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell.

Hope this helps:

1) reset the iDRAC

2) when the server POST, any iDRAC error

2) get the screenshot of the error he said could not start

https://dell.to/3BSTlQD

• 

3.3K Posts

May 24th, 2023 07:00

Thank you for your update

May 24th, 2023 07:00

Good morning,

I already attempted to reset iDRAC to factory default settings, but I will reboot the server and monitor POST for potential errors. However last time I rebooted the machine I did not see any. In this specific instance I was not looking for it. I will reply with a shot of the monitor when I have it.

May 24th, 2023 08:00

Well I was hoping I would be able to identify what is wrong with the iDRAC and correct it, I am trying to diagnose an issue with the virtual disk RAID array, and I need access to the iDRAC management computer in order to pull that information. I would also like to restore remote management of my server.

• 

8.8K Posts

Candlejack,

Just to isolate the issue, would you disconnect the server from the network and directly cable the dedicated idrac port to a laptop or desktop? This is to confirm connectivity and to also rule out the network as a source of the issue. If it connects when isolated, then I would start looking at the network pathing and such. If it doesn't connect under the isolation testing, then verify you are indeed configured in the iDrac network settings to Dedicated. If it is configured as such and you don't have connectivity there may be an issue with the idrac,
Lastly, when you said you reset the iDrac to factory defaults was that with the racadm racresetcfg command, if not what method did you use?

Let us know.

I will attempt to configure the iDRAC in isolation, however I did try to configure the dedicated NIC with the network cable disconnected and it refused to save the setting.

I used the setup utility (F2 during POST) to go into the iDRAC settings and selected Reset to Default at the bottom of the list.

• 

8.8K Posts

May 24th, 2023 09:00

Thank you. When you get a chance would you confirm if the servers BIOS and iDrac are both current an up to date, and if not what revision are they at?

No Events found!