Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2017 12:00

Dell R900: Issues with Riser C and D

I have a Dell R900 with 4 risers of 32GB each. Initially, I found out that one of the risers had gone bad so I purchased a new one and also more memory. I can verify that each riser works in slots A and B. However, when I try with anything in D and C, I get an error that Riser D cannot pair/train with Riser C.

I can take the same two and place them in A and B without issue. So, it would appear that I have a system with only 2 good memory slots.

Any hints?

James

• 

8.7K Posts

April 24th, 2017 11:00

In that case it most likely is a system board issue. 

• 

8.7K Posts

April 19th, 2017 17:00

Hi,

Is there two or 4 processors? You may want to try to swap processors around and see if the error follows a certain processor. 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

April 19th, 2017 20:00

Didn't think of that. Each cpu is a quad-core and there are 4 of them.

I'll quickly run a live CD on it and see if the CPU's are at fault.

James

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

April 21st, 2017 05:00

That didn't show anything wrong. Also, the utility partition invoked by pressing F10 didn't work as there is no utility partition.

• 

8.7K Posts

April 24th, 2017 09:00

So it was still the same memory risers that showed an issue after you swapped the processors around?

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

I ran a live CD Linux distro to check the processors. I didn't switch out the CPU's but the memory risers have all been tested in slots A and B and work fine-put them in C and D and the error shows up.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

Sadly yes.

I'm not in a mood right now to replace it either. It's for an IT test lab anyway so I'll live with the limitations.

No Events found!