Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

2 Posts

January 24th, 2019 03:00

Dell T620 GPU > use kit from T630?

Good morning,

I have a T620 and I know need, for scientific purposes, to use CUDA GPU. I am quite annoyed at the fact that Dell does not provide any single option to install a GPU in the T620, this is a clear lack of flexibility: requirements change after some time!

I have seen that GPU power boards for the T630 are on sale online. Has anyone tryed to install a T630 GPU power board on a T620 or think that it may work?

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 24th, 2019 07:00

Happy to help out. 

Forgot to mention that you would also want this cable, 3692K. That is the cable that I show as paired with the power interposer for GPU support.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Hello,

I would not recommend installing a power board designed for another server. However, this is a power board for the T620 that was intended to support a GP-GPU. The part number I am looking at is VDY5T. If this is something you want to pursue, you may consider contacting Sales to see if you can get a GPU enablement kit. That should include everything you need to use a GP-GPU.

2 Posts

Thank you for the quick reply, that's very helpful. I did not have the right model number for the adaptor.

1 Message

May 29th, 2021 09:00

Hello all,

I've registered for the sole purpose of recording a tried and tested result. I've used the GPU power distro. board 'for' a Dell T630 PowerEdge (Part no. X7C1K) in my Dell PowerEdge T620 just fine.

Close examination of a large quantity of photos of both the OEM distro. boards (T620/T630) shows that the circuitry/components is the same, including the large caps. The connectors are the same etc, etc. It's just a revision of the old item, most likely to improve manufacturing process', switch to cheaper components (of the same specification) and to make small tweaks to the physical board. The pin layout for connectors is exactly the same. The board does nothing to voltage, so there's no voltage concerns.

The only thing to note is Dell use proprietary connectors as mentioned elsewhere, so you will need a specific (not generic) GPU cable for it to fit the connectors on the X7C1K board. There are plenty on ebay, both official and unofficial.

I've currently got an old Radeon HD5770 running in my server, running Proxmox using GPU passthrough to Windows 10 to improve the experience, powered by this board.

Yes, It works! This is not insignificant because the T620 'genuine' part is like hens teeth to find, and is at minimum (in the UK) 3 times the price of the T630 part, for no reason other than scarcity.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2022 06:00

Thank you very much for the advice.  I'm planning to buy a T620 to run my Nvidia tesla k80 and two Xeon Phi coprocessors for different tasks of machine learning and physics simulations.  The  VDY5T is very expensive compared with the X7C1K one you mention. It helps me a lot.

June 24th, 2023 05:00

Thanks for posting. Whatever version is in my system now I'm getting only half the pinouts giving power. I think one of the big capacitors is dead... And buying the X7C1K is cheap enough to just go for it. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Anyone know if the GPU cables are the same between the X7C1K and the VDY5T?

• 

4.1K Posts

June 25th, 2023 18:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell.

Anyone know if the GPU cables are the same between the X7C1K and the VDY5T? -> They are not the same.

No Events found!