Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2018 12:00

Dell VRTX Switch port mapping

We have VMware ESXi on Dell VRTX blade. It has 8 external port and 16 internal port (4 port * 1 blade). We have connected cables as per below,

External port 1 - VLAN 10 (MGMT / vMotion)

External port 2 - VLAN  20 (Backup)

External port 3 -  Trunk port

External port 4 -   Trunk Port

External port 5 - VLAN 10 (MGMT / vMotion)

External port 6 - VLAN  20 (Backup)

External port 7 -  Trunk port

External port 8 -   Trunk Port

Can anyone please let me know how the mapping of external port is happening with internal port at the ESXi level. We can see 4 NIC adaper at each of the ESXi console. Not sure, how they are communicating/mapping with external switch.

• 

8.5K Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

The 2401 is a switch and not a passthrough there is not a one to one mapping, all ports can talk to all of the other ports.

• 

8.5K Posts

October 10th, 2018 15:00

Hi,

Which I/O module are you using? How many blades are installed?

11 Posts

October 10th, 2018 16:00

Hi, I have 2 blades. R1-2401 VRTX 1Gb Switch Module is the switch module with 8 ext ports. I can see 4 Network adapter with diff MAC address on each blade. i want to know which physical port are internally connected with blade internal port.

11 Posts

October 10th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the same.

It is describing the mapping with respect to numbering. 

However, I am more interested to know about external port 1 connectivity to internal ports at blade level...how the external port is connected internal port on the blade.

I have configure the  ext port -1 as access port with VLAN 10, also configure the internal port 1/1 (Blade-1) and Internal port 2/1 (Blade-2) with same access VLAN. I have connected the cable to only ext port-1 but still I am able to ping the both the blade IP address configured on their internal port-1. 

Does it mean that, physical port 1 is communicating to both the blade's internal port-1 (1/1 and 2/1) ?

Thanks much for your help on this so far.

11 Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

Perfect !! Thanks for the information.

So last point,

I have below connectivity on all the four external ports (out of 8, i am using only 4)

External port 1 - VLAN 10 (MGMT / vMotion)

External port 2 - VLAN  20 (Backup)

External port 3 -  Trunk port

External port 4 -   Trunk Port

I have configured the Access VLAN port on Ext port g 0/1 and g 0/2.

I have also configured the Trunk port on Ext port g 0/3 and g 0/4.

Now, on the blade server internal port (ESXi 6.5), do i need to configure the VLAN / Trunk port as well ? if yes, which internal port will be part of particular VLAN or trunk ?

I m not sure, if the below config are correct. I am able to ping only few of the VLAN IPs.

VRTX Switch ModuleVRTX Switch Module

Thanks for your help !!

11 Posts

October 15th, 2018 16:00

Hi All,

We have Dell VRTX chassis with two blades. Switch module is "VRTX 1Gb Switch Module — R1-2401".

Only three connection is in used

Ext port -1 --> VLAN 10 (Access)

Ext Port- 2 --> Trunk VLAN (VLAN 150, 151, 152, 153 154)

Ext Port -3 --> VLAN 20 (Access)

Internal port g1/1, 1/2. 1/2, 2/1. 2/2. 2/3 has been configured as below

Internal port 1/1 --> VLAN 10
Internal port 1/2 --> Trunk (VLAN 150 to 154)
Internal port 1/3 --> VLAN 20

Internal port 2/1 --> VLAN 10
Internal port 2/2 --> Trunk (VLAN 150 to 154)
Internal port 2/3 --> VLAN 20

On the blade / ESXI level, we have created the respective vSwitches as below.

vSwitch 0 -- VLAN 10 - working ok

vSwitch 2- VLAN 20 - working ok

But,

vSwitch 1 - Trunk VLAN (only two VLANs are pinging out of 5)..

On the other side, CISCO router is there and they have also configure the trunk port connecting to Dell switch port 0/2.

Can anyone help, why only few VLANs are pinging out of 5 VLAN in same trunk port ?

Thanks,

11 Posts

October 15th, 2018 16:00

VRTX 1Gb Switch Module — R1-2401 - Trunk port Issue Hi All, We have Dell VRTX chassis with two blades. Switch module is "VRTX 1Gb Switch Module — R1-2401". Only three connection is in used Ext port -1 --> VLAN 10 (Access) Ext Port- 2 --> Trunk VLAN (VLAN 150, 151, 152, 153 154) Ext Port -3 --> VLAN 20 (Access) Internal port g1/1, 1/2. 1/2, 2/1. 2/2. 2/3 has been configured as below Internal port 1/1 --> VLAN 10 Internal port 1/2 --> Trunk (VLAN 150 to 154) Internal port 1/3 --> VLAN 20 Internal port 2/1 --> VLAN 10 Internal port 2/2 --> Trunk (VLAN 150 to 154) Internal port 2/3 --> VLAN 20 On the blade / ESXI level, we have created the respective vSwitches as below. vSwitch 0 -- VLAN 10 - working ok vSwitch 2- VLAN 20 - working ok But, vSwitch 1 - Trunk VLAN (only two VLANs are pinging out of 5).. On the other side, CISCO router is there and they have also configure the trunk port connecting to Dell switch port 0/2. Can anyone help, why only few VLANs are pinging out of 5 VLAN in same trunk port ? Thanks,

10 Posts

May 5th, 2021 01:00

we recently have purchased the Dell VRTX and 2x R640 blades, with 10G Switch module with 2x10G SPF and 2xPCIE Cards on on chasis with 1-1 SFP each,

how can i achive the high availability, ?

how will be the LACP / port channeling will work?

i want to use 1 cable from the builtin port and other from the PCIE, same for second pair.

please suggest the good configuration in term of LACP, high availability, and the virtual Switch configuration

howt many LACP i can create in this hardware confirugation ?

howt many vSW i can create in this hardware confirugation ?

how many VLANs required to segrate the the traphics, as per the best practices

• 

3.1K Posts

May 5th, 2021 02:00

Hi @R4Ravindra,

Thanks for you support on Dell enterprise products. 

Just wanted to let you know that we, Dell Technologies' Tech Support Team is monitoring this thread, but we are unable to provide configuration tips.

Since you recently purchase the systems, why don't you try to reach to your Sales Representative at Dell Technologies, and they may help to consult with system consultants for deployments. They should be able to offer a configuration service.

Although I can't provide answers to your questions, your post can stay here so other community members could answer your questions. In the meantime, please take a look at the following resources - you may find them helpful: https://dell.to/2RrUbj8

10 Posts

May 6th, 2021 02:00

please delete this port, i have open the new thread for better communications

No Events found!