Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

Dell powerEdge t420, windows server 2008 R2, RAID5, partitioning issue

Good morning 

[ Dell powerEdge t420, windows server 2008 R2, RAID5 ]

I have attached a disk management's photo.

There's 

1 extended partition wherein there is

1 logical NTFS volume that fill entirely the extended partition.

But there is a green small free space of 0Mb.

Is it normal ?

1 Attachment

15 Posts

December 11th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for the info. I install it.

I have reinstalled the OS

and in OS installation partitioning step

there was :

a 1Mb extended partition and then the logic partition.

I have deleted all and create 2 primary partition ( 1 for Os and 1 for DATA ).

I have resolved.

But I don't know if 

is more performing primary or logic partition.

15 Posts

It is the last partition.

In the partiton

I have already tried to delete and ricreate the partition but the result is the same.

What is the meaning of that free space ?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

You have deleted both the volumes AND that last partition to recreate?  If you create the last partition (will be created as Extended), then create a volume within it, it should default to the size of the entire partition space - choose this default, and do not type in the size.  It should not keep a small sliver of free space on it.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

No, it shouldn't be there.  Did you create the last partition?  That will normally happen when you type in a particular size for the Logical Drive you are creating, rather than letting it take the entire recommended space.  It won't hurt anything being like that, but to fix it, you would have to backup the contents of E: and delete it.

15 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 12:00

ok, i try

tomorrow i say you the result.

In my country it is night

21 Posts

December 11th, 2012 03:00

I forget whether you can directly delete the green space or not, To be safely you can use 3rd party partition software to merge it to another partition, there are several free partition software you can choose or you can visit this site: http://www.partition-magic.org/ it is a partition magic alternative software.

January 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi All,

Can anybody help me to create RAID 5 on T420 Server. i have 3 drives of 1TB and when insert system build dvd, it gives me option to create RAID where i see two options, 1. RAID 0, 2. RAID 5. i choose RAID 5 by selecting all drives. when i select OS Installation and i click next it says this raid configuration is not compatible with this server. please help or tell me any SBS to create setup RAID 5. Thanks, Awais

1 Message

March 10th, 2015 02:00

I have a problem with powerEdge T420, i am trying to install server 2008 R2 on RAID 5 and it can not find Drives, ti says some drivers are missing.

No Events found!