Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2014 14:00

Dell t620 showing PS1 PG Fail

On our  new T620, I'm seeing an amber light blinking on the back of the server and a

"VLT0204 System PS1 PG PowerEdge T720 Fail voltage is outside of range" message on the display on the front.

In OpenManage, everything is green except System -> Main System Chassis -> Voltages, it lists a Bad reading and a "System Board PS1 PG Fail".  This would be power supply #1, right?  Not totally sure where to go from here, is there another way to test for a failing/bad PSU before I request a replacement?   Any advice appreciated, thanks.

990 Posts

IMS-IT.

I would clear the SEL, power down the server and swap positions with the PSU's.   Check to see if the error follows the PSU to the second slot. If so, then you have narrowed down the issue to the PSU and not the motherboard,

Regards,

1 Message

September 3rd, 2015 07:00

iDRAC FW 1.57.57 does not prevent the error from re-occurring.  I believe the answer to resolve this issue is to run the 'Drain the Flea Power' procedure.  The word 'flea' refers to residual power retained in the unit even when powered down.  To run the procedure, shutdown the unit's OS gracefully, once down unplug both PSUs, hold in the power button on the front of the unit for 30 seconds, then you can now power back up by putting the power plugs back in and pressing the power button.  That should clear the issue as seen in iDRAC or vCenter Hardware tab.  Cheers.

459 Posts

If the LCD display on the front of the server is detecting a voltage error, there is probably something wrong with one of the server's power supplies. This is not the voltage into the PS, but the low voltage out of the PS. Anyway, consult the dell management tools these will tell you the exact error. Something like the -12v is out on PS 1 (only guessing here on the problem) at the system board. The BMC is seeing the issue and reporting it on the LCD, the dell server tools should be able to report this too.

990 Posts

February 19th, 2014 15:00

Does the error return if you put the 2nd PSU in the first slot? 

3 Posts

Huh, that's interesting, it shows no error in the first slot now.  Any idea as to why that would be the case?  And thanks a lot for your fast and helpful responses, much appreciated.

990 Posts

Clearing the SEL, reseating the PSU's, all sometimes  clear the one-off errors that occur, which was your case.   The error was most likely a temporary loss of redundancy and posted the error on the LCD and in the SEL. 

Regards,

3 Posts

Ok, tried it in the second slot and left the first slot open, the error did not follow the PSU into the second slot, the Bad status is gone from the Voltage monitor and everything shows green.  I'm assuming this must be a board issue then, and if this is the case, how can we go about remedying it? 

2 Posts

March 18th, 2014 11:00

How do you clear the SEL

thanks

1 Message

January 16th, 2015 18:00

The shutdown and removal of power supplies is what fixed this issue. 

It's something Dell has to fix permanently. It's impractical to have to shutdown production servers. I've had to do it at two different companies. Shutting down and removing the power supplies is the only solution to this non-critical error.

27 Posts

June 9th, 2015 14:00

This was an error that's been resolved with a firmware update. If you update the iDRAC 7 firmware to version 1.57.57 or newer, you should never have to worry about this message.

1 Message

September 8th, 2015 08:00

For servers that are supposed to be Enterprise level, swapping around power supplies, powering down to clear errors and such is not enterprise class behavior.

While it isn't impossible to do this, it usually requires planning and (for some), a middle of the night maintenance, possibly with service disruption or degradation..

1 Message

March 2nd, 2016 11:00

Thanks. This worked for me on a T430 that was already on iDRAC firmware 2.05.05.05. Flea reset cleared the voltage error and front panel message and we have no more alerts or warnings.

December 8th, 2016 11:00

I have a PE R320 and Open Manage says PS1 needs replaced.  Which PSU is PS1?  Left or right?

No Events found!