Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2012 20:00

Does PowerEdge 2900 Support Hyper-V Operations?

I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on my PowerEdge 2900 and installed the Hyper-V role.  I created a virtual machine.  But when I tried to start the virtual machine I got the error:

The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running

I understand that the hypervisor is a setting or settings in the BIOS.  My questions are: (1) Does this machine support Hyper-V? (2) Where can I set the hypervisor setting? and (3) I am trying to do my work on this machine remotely.  Is it possible to make these setting changes remotely?

Thanks for any help you can give.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 15th, 2012 21:00

Hi ... you sick of me yet :)

"Does this machine support Hyper-V? (2) Where can I set the hypervisor setting?"

Yes, it does; it was among the first generation of Dell servers that did.  I don't believe any processors that did not support VT were ever an option in a 2900.  What processor do you have (for confirmation)?

"Where can I set the hypervisor setting?"

In the BIOS, under CPU Information, and make sure Virtualization Technology is enabled.

"I am trying to do my work on this machine remotely.  Is it possible to make these setting changes remotely?"

You can make the change remotely using OpenManage Server Administrator (System, Main System Chassis, BIOS, Processor Virtualization), but it will require a reboot before it is effective.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2019 10:00

Thanks it works for me.

No Events found!