Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2016 06:00

Error CPLD version 103 after updated bios

Yesterday I updated bios from 1.1.2 to lastest 2.5.2. After this update, It successfully gets past the "configuring memory" and "configuring iDRAC" screens but I have the following message:

----
CPLD version : 103

Management Engine Mode : Recovery
Management Engine Recovery Version : 0002.0001
          Recovery Patch     : 0005
            Recovery Build     : 0059

Warning! Power management firmare not responsive.
Disconnect and reconnect system input power.
 Strick the F1 key tyo contiunue, F2 to run the system setup program
----

Info From iDRAC7

Server PowerEdge R620
BIOS Version 2.5.2
Firmware Version 1.06.06 (Build 15)
Lifecycle Controller Firmware 1.0.0.5747
Operating System VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-2068190

What is next step ?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 27th, 2016 13:00

Hello

Did you follow the on-screen instructions?

When the system loads the BIOS it loads and runs it from the system memory. If you encounter issues after updating BIOS or firmware then it can be due to old information that is stored in memory from the previous load. The on-screen instructions advise to remove power from the system to drain flea power. This should clear volatile memory and allow a full reload of the BIOS and firmware into memory.

Thanks

January 27th, 2016 16:00

What firmware update method did you use? Updating directly from the LCC?

I have seen this issue occur if you attempt to do a big leap from 1.1.2 to something like 2.0.19 and above.

Alternatively you can do the power drain as Daniel suggested and see if that clears the error.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2016 12:00

I try to remove the power cord and restart the server and the problem is persists.

Bacon Emperor, I updated bios via F11 Bios boot update option with *.efi File on usb key.

4 Posts

February 1st, 2016 12:00

What's next step ?

Should I downgrade bios to old firmware 1.1.2 ?

or

Should reset bios with NVRAM_CLR jumper ?

or

Should make any other update via LCC ?

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 13:00

I tried to update all available updates and the problem persist.

I tried to reset bios with NVRAM_CLR jumper and the problem persist.

I tried to roolback bios to old version 1.1.2 with Idrac and I no longer have the error message :).

I spoke to Dell technical support and he told me to go with version 2.4.2 before 2.5.2 but I can't find this version ...

• 

6.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 12:00

I spoke to Dell technical support and he told me to go with version 2.4.2 before 2.5.2 but I can't find this version ...

I don't show 2.4.2 in the list of released versions. 2.4.3 would be the closest release version. I see nothing in the release notes that indicate revision stepping of any specific version is required. The only note I see is that you cannot backflash beyond 2.0.19 if you are using CPU E5-2600 V2.

I can't think of a reason they would suggest flashing to "2.4.2". I think they were just suggesting that you step the updates since you are encountering issues. I see no reason that specific version would matter. The most likely issue is that there was an issue with the previous flash. You can try reflashing with 2.5.2 or step with another version first.

Thanks

February 3rd, 2016 16:00

The issue is Likely due to the number of missed updates between the updates

First of all you need to check what is the minimum version required to upgrade, note that you upgraded from 1.1.2 to 2.5.2 lastest, how many versions you jumped? Twenty?

Always! read all "release notes", sometimes the latest version isnt the ideal

If you have configured iDRAC, make the update by her,  Update and rollback option,

It is recommended to use The Following sequence When updating firmware on the Dell PowerEdge servers.

1. iDRAC

2. Lifecycle Controller

3. BIOS

4. Diagnostics

5. OS Driver Pack

6. RAID

7. NIC

8. PSU

9. CPLD

10. Other update

2 Posts

May 19th, 2022 19:00

I'd go in to System -> Misc and turn off Errors.    Goes right past.

No Events found!