Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2014 10:00

Error code showing when there is not an error on PowerEdge 2950II

So a while back I posted here asking if I could replace the backplane of my poweredge 2950 without messing anything up (raid wise). The answer I got was yes since it is all hardware based, which I had thought in the first place. I went ahead and replaced it and have had a E1A14 – SAS Cable A message ever since. The server has been running that way perfectly fine like that for at least a month now. The raid or hard drives have not been affected and everything works fine. I have tried reseating the cable and I am still getting the message even though it works fine. Is there any way to dismiss this message to keep it off the lcd screen? I am only running 3 hard drives currently in slots 0,1, and 2 so does cable A service hard drive slots 3,4,and 5 thus it is not affecting me??? Thanks

261 Posts

July 18th, 2014 13:00

Icero,

SAS Cable A would connect drives 0,1,2,3 to the primary port on your controller.  If you have the 2nd B cable installed then I would suggest isolating a possible damaged cable.

1. Shutdown and unplug the system to drain the flea power by holding the power button for at least 15 seconds.
2. Remove cable B and install it in the A position. Cable B is identical to A, other than that it is longer and labeled differently. 
3. If the error goes away, then replace the faulty cable A.
4. If the error remains, then there is a problem with the new backplane. 
5. Try updating the backplane firmware if it applies, or replace the backplane again. 

Here’s a link to a windows version of the PE2950 backplane firmware:

SAS Backplane firmware 1.05. Windows update package: http://ftp.us.dell.com/esm/ESM_FRMW_WIN_R149431.EXE

Please let us know how it goes.  

4 Posts

July 18th, 2014 16:00

Well I just opened it up to try these suggestions out. I had another sas cable kicking around I used instead of using my B cable to test first. Did not fix it. Tried the B cable next, didn't fix it. I then took out the backplane and put the old one back in and it is fixed. I guess I just got a bad new backplane. Would the Backplane firmware update perhaps fix the new backplane? The old one was updated to 1.05 before it was removed. Perhaps the new one doesn't have 1.05??? I am running a BSD based OS so I can't use that updater. The only reason I was able to upgrade the old one was I had windows server on it for a day to upgrade all the firmware's. Is there an OS independent updater or a updater for Linux based systems? The old backplane was revision A00 while the new one I put in was A01 if that makes a different.

261 Posts

July 21st, 2014 09:00

Glad to see that you have the problem isolated now. Here is a link to the 2950 backplane firmware downloads based on RHEL5. Scroll down to the file called “ESM_Firmware_9WH0P_LN32_1.05_A01.BIN”.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=9WH0P&fileId=3101747317&osCode=RHEL5&productCode=poweredge-2950&languageCode=EN&categoryId=ES

You may click on the PowerEdge 2950 link to go back to main page and change to another Linux version if needed. The backplane files are located under “Embedded Server Management (ESM).”

No Events found!