Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2016 01:00

F1 Errors

I was hoping to find out a list of what causes F1 errors on Dell servers (F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup prompt.) I have seen a couple of questions come upon this, and there is general agreement that is indicative of a hardware error - but despite looking through documentation and the forums I am yet to find a list of what causes these.

I was hoping someone may be able to help list what errors cause a F1 prompt on startup/point me in the right direction of a list etc?

Thanks!

• 

8.8K Posts

April 4th, 2016 12:00

MattTopping,

The F1/F2 error is normally seen when a port or something is enabled in the BIOS, but nothing is installed or vice versa. This can happen after a BIOS update on rare occasions. So I would start by looking at your BIOS settings, such as the Sata ports. After that then you can also take the server to a minimum to post configuration and see if the error clears, if so then one of the removed parts was likely causing the issue. Minimum to post configuration will vary per system, if you let me know the model server you are using we can go from there.

April 5th, 2016 01:00

I'm using a variety of R servers, 310s, 320s, 720s, 730s, and some 710s and 410s, as well as older servers like 850s and 860s, and all have had this error from time to time. The issue I am having is that sometimes the error will occur and then when investigated it either cannot be replicated or when a monitor is plugged in the error itself doesn't always show, just a reboot prompt.

I was under the impression that if it was a bios issue the error would keep repeating, but as this is quite an intermittent issue, am not entirely sure if this is the case or not. Is there a list of possible hardware/bios faults that can cause it?

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2016 07:00

That is odd, normally that is a constant error until resolved. You may want to shut down and reseat the internal connections on the server (optical, sata, etc), as well as go ahead and get the server to current on BIOS, iDrac, Chipset, and the Raid Controller as well.

No Events found!