Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 11th, 2018 14:00

H700 virtual bad blocks

We have a 4 disk RAID5 virtual disk on this controller. A few weeks ago one drive went into predictive failure mode. A couple days ago a second drive failed completely. At this point we replaced the failed drive and waited for the rebuild to completely finish. We then replaced the predicted fail drive and during the rebuild the server reported that the VD has bad blocks. Nevertheless the rebuild of the second drive did complete successfully and now all drives show as online and healthy but the VD still shows the bad block error.

I have done a resynch, a backup and also run chkdsk and all run without errors. I would like to clear the bad blocks and reboot but I am hesitant because this VD includes the OS C: drive. Is there a way I can find out which files/folders might be on these bad blocks? If they are OS file/folders I would like to replace them before I reboot to avoid a BSOD.

Thanks,
Diego

April 11th, 2018 14:00

There is not a way to map the virtual bad blocks to the OS files easily, or with 100% accuracy. 

The best thing you can do is run file level backups of the server and see if it fails on any files.

The "good" news is that clearing the virtual bad block will not cause any additional issues. It simply allows the RAID controller to free the blocks on the hard drives that are not bad. When a controller has the issue you had, it will mark the entire stripe bad in the RAID array, clearing the virtual bad blocks is just allowing the good blocks on the hard drives to be used again.

18 Posts

April 12th, 2018 05:00

It's disappointing to hear that but I guess it is what it is.  I guess I will take a couple more backups, cross my fingers and hit the reboot!

Thank you

No Events found!