Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2016 14:00

HD SAS blocked

Hello, I have a BLADE R420 HDS with two SAS and one of the hard drives were defective, got another HD SAS but not dell, but when I put the BLADE is listed as blocked.

If I put defective HD, I can build the HD, but if I put the new Dell says it is not as locked.

already performed the following steps
updated the firmware PERC H710 controller, drives and updated the firmware HD, when I entered the BIOS setup also demonstrates how locked.
Can someone help me ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 13th, 2016 16:00

Hello.

This kind of behavior is expected when using drives that are not certified by Dell due to communication mismatch with the controller firmware. It is just a chance that they may(not) operate normally. Consider purchasing a Dell certified drive as a replacement drive.

Thank you.

3 Posts

September 14th, 2016 06:00

Good Morning Robert,

The hd i've used is exactly the same model as the one already in my server, it seems to have a EMC firmware though and that may be the root of the issue...

Is there any way to "release" that block or something like that? The manual only states that in case a drive is listed as blocked i should update the firmware on the server...

In a worst case scenario, if I replace my hard drives with retail SATA drives it should work right? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2016 09:00

The hd i've used is exactly the same model as the one already in my server, it seems to have a EMC firmware though and that may be the root of the issue...

I am certain, it is the root cause because the drive is not able to execute the controller instructions.

Is there any way to "release" that block or something like that? The manual only states that in case a drive is listed as blocked i should update the firmware on the server...

I am not aware of any walk around this blocked state besides using Dell certified drives with firmware that can communicate well with the H700 controller

In a worst case scenario, if I replace my hard drives with retail SATA drives it should work right? 

Any Dell certified enterprise drives, let them be  class SATA or SAS should be able to work just fine with the H700 controller

3 Posts

September 14th, 2016 10:00

Robert,

By dell certified you mean BOUGHT AT DELL or can it be retail drives that are in the compatibility list of H700 ? 

If it is the retail drives (as I hope.. ), where can I get a compatibility list?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2016 11:00

Not necessarily bought at Dell. You may buy from third party vendors (requires Part Number) as long as they are Dell branded. What size of drive are you looking at? See link: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/category/ar/7748?appliedRefinements=604,600,601 

1 Message

December 7th, 2022 08:00

Is this a solution? Makes me laught!

The SAME drive, with SAME hardware costs 3 to 5 times or more até Dell just because firmware flash with no performance, reliablility addition, this is rediculous.

Dell works well with any INTEL/SAMSUNG SSD or SEAGETE/WD/HGST/TOSHIBA HDD, no need to flash or update nothing.

Do not pay more to Dell!  Or buy a Supermicro that is unlocked for you choose  and be free.

No Events found!