A

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 5th, 2021 01:00

HWC2003 Storage BP2 SAS A cable or interconnect failure

Hi,

I have some issues with my R820.

Initial configuration come with 1 backplane of 16 drives.

To be able to use SAS 12Gbps, I purchased a MegaRaid 9361-16i (Witch is compatible with Dell), and I replaced the 16-bay backplane with two 8-bay backplanes (22FYP).

When I boot the server, I'm getting 2 error messages:

HWC2003 Storage BP2 SAS A cable or interconnect failure. 

HWC2003 Storage BP2 SAS B cable or interconnect failure. 

I checked many times the cables, and they are good and well plugged. The signal and power cables too.

Can any one help me to solve this issue?

Thanks.

• 

2.2K Posts

April 5th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

Could you share MegaRaid 9351-16i part number please? I can check it Dell certified or not. I was going to say the cables might be loose, but you said you already checked them. I suggest you first discharge the static power on the server as below method. Can you access the OS despite this error? if so you can try to clear SEL log on iDRAC. If the problem persists then I'd suspect a hardware issue could be related uncertified part or I2C and backplane cable. 

1. Power the server down.

2. Disconnect server from all power cables, Network cables.

3. Hold down the power button continuously for at least 10 seconds.

4. Insert power cables and network cables back to the system.

5. Wait about 2 minutes before powering on server to give the iDRAC time to initialize.

6. Power the system on.

Let us know how it goes!

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 5th, 2021 08:00

Hi Erman0,

Thank you for replying.

For the part number, I didn't find it. But if you take a look at page 24 of this doc (https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/MR-93xx-OT102), you will find the dell R820.

I will try discharging the static power as you suggested.

For the OS, now I didn't install any OS on this server: I want to check that all things are OK before installing anything.

For backplanes cables, to be honest, I start thinking to buy other ones (I bought "standard" ones on amazon).

It can't be a backplanes cause 4 ones (2 used, and 2 new).

If you suspect other things, please tell me. I will keep you informed for discharging the static power results.

Thank you once again.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 6th, 2021 01:00

Hi Emran,

The error still displayed after discharging static power.

Attached a photo of the error I'm getting.

I suspected SFF cables, but I'm using 4 of the same cable, and I don't have an error about the 1st backplane.

I don't think drivers may be the cause, because it recognize the 1st backplane.

Thank you in advance.

Image1.jpgImage2.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpg

• 

2.2K Posts

April 6th, 2021 03:00

I suspect the storage chain has an issue, it could be controller, backplane, or cables. Could you update firmwares to latest from here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/poweredge-r820/drivers especially iDRAC, BIOS and controller card. But for MegaRaid 9361-16i you can check vendor's own page. Frankly I suspect a bit of controller card. If there is no hardware problem, this warning usually did not appear after clearing the SEL log. If possible, you can try it on another server to check if the part is working normally. 

Could you inspect the cable and ports for any damage or debris?

To ensure Could you check the cabling between 97-103pg https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/poweredge-r820_owners-manual_en-us.pdf 

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 7th, 2021 02:00

Hi Emran,

I'm really frustrated with this machine.

To be sure that all wiring are done well, I swapped cables (SFF, power and signal) of BP1 to with BP2 one (So If cables are dead, I should get the same error in the 1st BP1). Result: The same error in the same BP2.

I even put 2 new backplanes. But nothing changed.

The initial config of this R820 comes with a 12-bay backplane + expander. Changing that by 2 x8-bay needs a particular drivers or firmware update? (I have the last iDRAC and LC updates).

I saw some where a no-expander backplane driver. But I can't install it trough LC from USB.

Do you have suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

• 

2.2K Posts

April 7th, 2021 04:00

Hi Abidal,

You can install to driver only in OS therefore LCC does not run driver.(only firmwares install via LCC) Could you check to see controller card on "Device Settings"? You can access it in system setup menu "F2" or in LifeCycle Controller"F10" via Advanced Settings. If you can see controller please check hardware components then check enclosure management.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 8th, 2021 02:00

Hi Emran,

I installed, trough iDRAC, all "possible drivers but the Megaraid still can't reconginize backplanes.

Attached photos of what I'm getting.

The machine recognize the MegaRaid but can't create Raid and can't find the hardware.

Any suggestions?

Thank you a lot for your help.

• 

2.2K Posts

April 8th, 2021 03:00

Hi Abidal, 

A colleague of mine just noticed, if you look at the diagram on page 99, two perc controller cards are connected to two separate backplanes. I think the system needs a second control card.  

Also, you can try only 1 backplane on page 98 cabling. And you can check if your controller card is able to detect 1 backplane and run properly. I'm not very familiar with that MegaRaid card but if it works with 1 backplane I guess you can try 2 backplanes like on page 99.

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/poweredge-r820_owners-manual_en-us.pdf 

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 15th, 2021 05:00

Hi Emran,

So after many tests, it seems that the backplane gave error cause there is no drive in. 

When I mounted some drives in each backplane, and I cleared the iDRAC logs, the machine boot without the error.

In iDRAC interface I still have the error RAC0503 in storage section, but I think it's due to the card witch is no Dell branded.

Now I have some small issues with drives, and I opened a new post.

Thank you for assistance.

No Events found!