Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 13:00

Help (sorry) :)

I'm moving my system from a 2600 to a 2800, and I'm facing the problem for the power of my scsi startup hdd seperate via a adaptec card. Where can I get the power??

Anyone, can help me (please quick :) ) I'm sitting here and I don't know where to get the power for my hdd :(

Regards! Ronald

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 07:00

Both of these systems use hotswap scsi bays/drives.

This means the drive uses an SCA-80 connector that has both power and data in a single plug and there is no need to powercables to the drives.

14 Posts

April 8th, 2009 08:00

I know that, just wanted to have a hdd on the pci Adaptec card to have my os on. So I can have all my disk from the raid set available for my data disk. And it's far more quicker to replace a single defected disk where the operating system is on for a new disk (ghost).

Ronald

(edit typo's)

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 13:00

The system wasn't designed for that, so it has no powercables for non-hotswap-bay drives.

Where were you thinking of mounting it?

14 Posts

April 8th, 2009 13:00

Well, in my 2600 I got an tapedrive, so I got power. I just connected the hdd, in the bios I changed the startup disk and it was running smotth with ESX. So I want to do the same with the 2800. Or are you saying that's not possible to add a tape unit or so?

14 Posts

April 28th, 2009 04:00

If you take a look at the design of the PowerEdge 2800 (tower) you can see some empty space where it's possible with the right mounting set to place a tapedrive or something. And yes, there is a possibility to get power from the back pane. You just need : CPL-G2536 RoHS:No,ASSY, CBL, PWR, PBAY, 2DROP, PE2800 and of you go.

No Events found!