Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2014 10:00

Help with Poweredge 17fp

I was given this PE17fp new in the box and I have a few questions.  First off I have never worked with one of these before so my questions may sound dumb.  Sorry in advance.

1. The dongles I was given have a single USB and a video connector that go to an ethernet port.  Are these the correct dongles for the server?

2.  I was given an HP switch that looks like it is suppose to be where all the servers connect to and the KMM i tried one connection and I just get lines across the KMM screen.

3.  I am not even sure how to connect this thing properly and I am unable to find a guide online.  Any help would be awesome. 

4.  what rails can I Use to rack mount this?  I do not have a Dell rack to the Dell rails are not useful.   I recently bought versa rails for my PE 2950 would those work for this as well?

Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 6th, 2014 15:00

It is not a KVM switch. It can be used in conjunction with a KVM switch, but if you don't have one then you will need to get one if that is what you are wanting. If you don't have a KVM switch then you will need to connect the KMM to one server at a time.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 6th, 2014 13:00

Hello

The 17FP is a Keyboard Monitor and Mouse(KMM). It is not a KVM switch. You use it just like you would use a crash cart or any other keyboard and monitor connection. It does not have the KVM switch functionality for routing input and output from multiple servers to a single device. You can connect it directly to a single server or you can connect it to a KVM switch to use on multiple systems. The installation for such a configuration will be in the guide for the KVM that you use.

If the HP switch is just a switch then it will not work the way you are thinking it will. If it is a KVM then you should consult the guide for it on how to set it up. You can read more on the KMM here:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/dell-kmm-rack-console-spec-en.pdf

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_rack_infrastructure/dell-1u-rackmount-led-console_User%27s%20Guide12_en-us.pdf

There is a list of compatible rails that we sell. You can look up the specifications on those rails to see if they will work in your rack.

Thanks

2 Posts

June 6th, 2014 15:00

So am I screwed as far as using this KMM as a KVM? I need to buy a new KVM?

No Events found!