Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 4th, 2018 11:00

Help with an old Server I bought, poweredge 2900 gen III...

Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read this post and try to help me out. I bought a used Dell PowerEdge 2900 Gen iii off of eBay and it came with 2 Xeon E5405's, 20GB of ram, and a TB in the form of a single HDD. It has no os on it, so I know that I am going to have to install it, but do you think there would be any issues installing Debian or openSUSE on it? I in no way plan to make it my actual web server, but I would like a dev a good dev machine with the ability to run a flask site or two and send out email alerts if my aws servers go down. Do you think the server could support that?

I guess another question I have is how to both reduce noise, and make the system use less power overall. I've never interacted with a physical server before, unless you count a few projects with a raspberry pi so I'd just like to have everything in order for when it arrive. Thank you!

• 

8.7K Posts

March 5th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Can you private message me the service tag so we can get some additional information?

Those OSes will probably work, you may need to use older versions that have the proper drivers for the controller. It should be fine for that use. It won’t be quiet, 11th gen and newer servers are a lot quieter. The best way is to put it as far away from where you are as possible.

January 15th, 2022 20:00

But why??? Geez, that's like using a sledge hammer to drive in a finishing nail.

No Events found!