Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2004 21:00

How noisy is PE 1600SC?

I am considering getting a PE 1600SC as a workstation in a small office. I have heard it is pretty noisy. How noisy is it comparing to regular desktops? Would it be too noisy as a workstation?

John

3 Posts

May 5th, 2004 19:00

I can hardly hear mine.

2 Posts

May 12th, 2004 17:00

I found the PowerEdge 1600sc VERY noisy.  Most of the problem was the result of loud case fans.  I replaced these with the quiet panaflo fans and it helped quite a bit.  The stock CPU fans are pretty quiet, as is the power supply.  Overall its much more quiet now than the Dual Athon PC I put together (which has smaller case fans)

2 Posts

May 18th, 2004 19:00

Just purchase one and compared to the other servers we have, it is extremely quiet! A little noisier than a regular workstation, but very tolerable.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

May 19th, 2004 02:00

Like most of the new small Dell servers they are as quiet as the desktops of a few years back. It should be fine for an office setting. I set mine up in the reception are of a small office last week and you dont notice it.

There are 2 fans - the PSU snd the CPU fan - and they are fine. If you were using this in a totally silent room you would notice as for any PC - but fine in the real world office.

I found the fan noise of the Poweredge 700 (which is smaller and newer) a bit mor annoying actually.

Hope that helps!

No Events found!