Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2018 11:00

How to add physical disk to degraded virtual S100 RAID1 disk

Hello World,

Had an amber status this morning and upon investigation it appears I've somehow lost a phy disk from my Virtual drive. Not sure why, no improper shutdowns etc.

I cant work out how to bring this "Ready" disk 3-03  to re-join Virtual Disk 2. I've run OMSA but have no options as to what to do with this #2 Virtual one. I have options like Check Consistency, Rebuild etc on #1.

2018-07-05 10.26.59.jpg

What can you suggest I do please to recover my redundancy on Disk #2?

On a Dell T110 II , latest BIOS etc.

Many thanks,

Luke

• 

6.2K Posts

July 5th, 2018 13:00

Hello

If you assign the disk that is in a ready state as a hot spare it should initiate a rebuild. I suggest running diagnostics on the drive first.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

5 Posts

July 5th, 2018 14:00

Top marks! Set as hot spare and now OMSA is doing magical things. I'll leave this to run and do its thing.

Out of interest. I've got a dual-boot on this T110ii , Win 10 and now Srv2018R2 (for diagnostics since drive failure). Do I need to stay in Server until the rebuild is OK or is this a BIOS/PERC managed activity so I can jump back into Win10 and the rebuild will continue behind the scenes (as OMSA doesn't work on 10 - and understandably so).

Cheers again!! He wasn't wrong!He wasn't wrong!

5 Posts

July 5th, 2018 14:00

Hi Daniel,

I played with the hotspare settings but didn't see any options in the PERC controller to rebuild etc. That said I hadn't gone into OMSA as I was expecting it to be done pre-boot so I'll look at that.

Not sure what that link you gave me was meant to do as I got a popup saying "There are no products in this category." .

I'll set that READY disk as hotspare then boot and goto OMSA and see if my options have changed.

Cheers for now,

Luke

• 

6.2K Posts

July 5th, 2018 15:00

The S100 is a driver-based controller. If this were a hardware controller then I would say yes, but you will interrupt the rebuild if the operating system is shutdown or restarted. I suggest that you not boot to another OS until the rebuild is complete.

No Events found!