Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 12:00

How to setup DELL UPS 1920W HV to shut down vmware guest if battery low?

Masters,

I need your help, 'coz i don't know where should start. I inherited a server and would like to check if everything is set up fine..

-  So we have an Intel Modular Server with two host with 10VM (typically windows server 2008 guests)
-  We have an Intel storage server - this is a phisycal server

-  Have an Dell UPS 1920W HV conntected to the Storage server via USB cable

On the storage server (this is a windows server too) installed Dell UPS Management Software 01.10.0005.

Please help me what to do if i would like to set up the UPS (or whatever i need) to Shutdown windows guest and after that shut down esxi hosts when battery low?
 (and than start the host when power its ok..)

Thank you very much.

Krisztián

• 

8.7K Posts

August 14th, 2015 14:00

It is saying that the VMs cannot interact with the UPS directly through USB. So it is up to the host to shut down the VMs or you can run a script when the shutdown command is sent to tell all of the VMs to shut down.

5 Posts

Dear Josh,

I start to read this massive document, and on the 6. page i read this:

"The Dell UPS must be connected to an IP network using the optional Dell Network Management Card (NMC)
USB communications are not supported for the virtualized “Agentless” applications discussed in this document."

As i wrote in my initial post, the UPS connected to server via USB.

What do you think, my i check remotlely if my UPS has network management card? What can i do if not?

Thank you

• 

8.7K Posts

No Events found!