Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2013 16:00

How to update bios / Firmware

Morning All

i have a poweredge T300, and i'm running 1.3 and would like to update to 1.5, as im having issue with my vmware esxi having the pink screen of death issue

How do i exactly update the bios, i would like to do it via USB if possible but the download on the dell website is a .exe and doesnt explain what to do exactly and how to get the server to boot from it

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 17:00

thanks mate

I'm using Vmware Esxi do i select linux as my OS

7 Posts

thanks for the reply!

i will give that a try, How about updating the other firmwares like sas etc? should i update them all

• 

6.2K Posts

If you plan on updating all of them then the easiest method would be to use repository manager to create a bootable update DVD.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1767.dell-repository-manager.aspx

Repository manager can be a little overwhelming the first time you try to use it, but once you take the time to familiarize yourself with it I'm sure you will like it. It can help simplify management by allowing you to create custom firmware and driver update discs for your systems. If you choose the Linux option when creating a repository then you will get an option to make bootable. You can only update firmware this way, but it will allow you to boot to a live Linux distro that will perform all of the updates in an easy to use GUI.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

I'm using Vmware Esxi do i select linux as my OS

Yes, there are three types of updates you can perform with a repository:

• Firmware updates within Linux
  • Firmware updates within Windows
  • Driver updates for Windows from within Windows

You can't update ESXi VIBs with the repository, and it will not run under ESXi. Because of that you will want to do a Linux boot image. This will allow you to boot to a live Linux distro and update all of the device firmware. Then you can restart and boot into ESXi.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello

There are a lot of ways to do it, but to perform the USB flash you will need to format the USB to be bootable.

Put the USB into a computer with Windows installed. Go into My Computer where you can see all of your drives and right-click on the USB drive. Choose the option to format in the pop-up menu. I would suggest leaving all of the settings to default except for one. Make sure you put in a check mark in the option to Make Bootable. It may also be called Create an MS-DOS startup disk. This will load DOS onto the USB and make it bootable.

Once that is completed just copy the .exe file to the USB device. Make sure it is the non-packaged version of the BIOS update that is designed for MS-DOS. Boot to the USB drive and type in the name of the file and hit enter. If you did not put the file in the root directory then you will have to use change directory commands to navigate to the file to be able to execute it.

Thanks

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 19:00

i can only find http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails?driverId=732C1 which is a windows installer ?

i thought i had to boot using this image? and create the repository then boot a live cd into linux and use the gui? or is it the other way do you have some instructions to follow?

• 

6.2K Posts

December 26th, 2013 09:00

No, Repository Manager is a Windows application. Install it on a Windows system and use it to create your custom images.

No Events found!