Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 12th, 2018 07:00

Hyper-V not connecting to SSD volume after reboot

I have a new Dell PowerEdge R430 with x2 SAS HDD and x6 SATA SSD which has been built with Server 2012 R2.  Virtual disks set as x2 HDD raid 1 for OS and x6 SSD raid 10 for DATA.

I am having an issue with the SSD DATA volume after the Hyper-V role has been installed.  I have set the DATA volume as the default location for Hyper-V vm’s & disks.  VM’s have been created & tested all ok.  The issue occurs when the server is restarted.  After boot up Hyper-V appears to lose connection to the storage and thus the vm’s are not available, although the DATA volume is still fully visible & accessible in Windows.

Is there a setting in the bios or in Hyper-V that I am missing to ensure that Hyper-V can see the DATA volume after a reboot ?

I have already applied all windows updates and applied all available latest DELL firmware for the bios, controllers, enclosures, disks etc.

I have also completely cleared the virtual disks and rebuilt the OS from a different source but the same issue persists.  I would like to be able to pinpoint if this is a Windows software or DELL hardware problem ?

I have installed numerous Hyper-v hosts with 2012 R2 using the same set up without any issues.  Although all previously on HP hardware.  This is the first time using a DELL server.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

22 Posts

June 13th, 2018 11:00

So how do the VMs appear in Hyper-V Manager, Off-Critical with a message about not being able to access the configuration file?

Do the system event logs e.g. Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-* have anything relevant?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 13th, 2018 11:00

Hello

If you can view and access the drives in the host OS then it would appear to be a software issue. The disks that are presented to the virtual machines are virtual drives. Those virtual drives are created and managed by Hyper-V. The only way this could be a hardware issue is if you were using some type of direct I/O to present hardware directly to a VM, bypassing the host OS.

Thanks

2 Posts

July 4th, 2018 03:00

Hi

Many thanks for your reply and my apologies for the radio silence.  It would appear that this issue is now resolved pending some further testing.

I resorted to rebuilding this server several times before hitting upon the process that is working with this Dell server using Windows 2012 R2.

For some reason Windows was not marking the correct disk as active.  Normally I would build the server with all desired Virtual Disks but for this build I built with just one for the OS.

After Windows was installed and the active disk marked correctly I created the second Virtual Disk and applied the Hyper-V role.  From there onwards I have not had any issues with Hyper-V VMs.

No Events found!