Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2016 14:00

Install windows server 2012 on Poweredge 1950

I have try to install Win server 2012 on a Poweredge 1950 creating a bootable USB and a DVD but either way is not working, I have follow several web options like setup boot process for USB and to boot from CD but no matter what I do on the USB it just hang and with the DVD will skip it, it wont even try to read it.

Any help is much appreciated

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2016 11:00

Try booting the USB on another machine. If you browse the contents of the flash drive, you should have a few folders (sources, etc.) and a few files (setup.exe, etc.). Did you follow the USB prep instructions EXACTLY as I laid them out?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 13th, 2016 16:00

Hello

I would test booting from another DVD, preferably something that was stamped and not something you burned. If you have the DVD/CDROM set as the first boot device and it will not boot from any media then the DVD/CDROM may not be functional. If it is working with other media then there is something wrong with the image file or you are not burning it correctly.

Creating a bootable image for USB usually requires a program designed for that purpose. Simply copying or burning an image file to a USB is not usually sufficient to make it bootable. I would refer to the support forums for that application to ensure you are configuring it correctly.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2016 17:00

Better yet, forget the application. If you are using Windows 7 or later, just right-click the ISO and choose Burn Disc Image. You can't just put the ISO on a DVD.

Also, make sure that your 1950 has a DVD drive. DVD drives were still optional when the 1950 was sold, and a CD drive will NOT read Server 2012 media (Vista/2008 and later is DVD only).

For a bootable USB ... same thing ... you can't just put the ISO on a flash drive. Extracted files must be copied to a specially prepared flash drive. See below for instructions:

Mount the 2012 ISO (just double-click in Windows 8 and later), take a note of the drive letter. For this example, we'll assume it is letter F:.

We'll also assume your USB is disk 1. To check to make sure, in diskpart type "list disk".

We'll also assume your USB is assigned the drive letter G: after formatting.

Insert your USB drive. Open a command prompt and type:

diskpart

select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

xcopy F:\*.* /s/e/f G:

Put the USB into the server, boot to the BIOS Setup F2 and make sure USB is enabled with BIOS support and that it is at the top of the boot sequence.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2016 08:00

Thanks DELL_Daniel I have use the same burn image to update other Poweredge servers but this were R610, so I think the problem is the CD reader not sure if is CD or DVD.

About the USB I have also create one copying everything to the USB not just the ISO and still nothing works

5 Posts

January 14th, 2016 08:00

@ theflash1932 I have to check if is CD or DVD the USB I have create it that way but when I open the BIOS setup (i have version 2.3.1) I do not have an option to select BIOS support on the boot sequence so after I change the other settings and boot the server it just hang on the CTRL - E screen with the USB lite and do nothing for an hour or so

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2016 09:00

Don't wait an hour ... it doesn't take an hour.

In the BIOS, you need to check the Boot Sequence AND the Hard Drive Sequence ... USB needs to be set above PERC in the HDD sequence. You must put the USB in the slot BEFORE booting into the BIOS. You may even need to boot twice to get it to show up.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2016 10:00

at the Boot Sequence I only have:

- Hard Drive

- IDE CD-ROM

Embedded NIC 1 MBA v4.0.1

on the HDD Sequence:

- Front USB 2.0

- Integrated SAS #0100 ID00 LUN0 Dell

USB FLash Drive Emulation i have setup that as Auto

Still same thing no luck with the USB

5 Posts

January 18th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for all your help, the problem was that I have not created the USB properly. I am able to install Win 2012 on the Poweredge machines

38 Posts

March 14th, 2018 05:00

Hi ramon068

I'm trying to install windows server 2012 on a server power edge 1950 (just like you). I see you could do it ...

Can you please confirm which disk controller you have? I have a SAS 6 / go integrated and I have the doubt if it is possible to install that operating system.

Thank you very much!

Greetings.

Diego.

No Events found!