Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2013 13:00

Installing old pc image of Win 2003 to Poweredge 2600 using Acronis 2012

I have made a Acronis backup of a Windows 2003 server installation on a regular IDE disk on an old server.

Now I want to install the image on a Dell Poweredge 2600 server that has 4 disks, 2 arrays that makes 2 physical drives.

I use Acronis 2012 and it has an option to add drivers.

Im now downloading the drivers for Dell Poweredge 2600

I see that its mostly .exe files.

That must mean that I need to run every .exe to unpack the drivers and then copy them to a locatiion where the Acronis installation can read them, right ?

How do I do that without installing them on the PC I use to unpack ?

31 Posts

July 16th, 2013 03:00

Now I got problems booting Acronis True Image Home 2012 (v.15xx) on the Poweredge 2600... and  Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Server 

Errors appear about "unable to load initial RAMDISK", "unable to load Linux kernel "...
"Unable to execute program, Press Enter to Proceed...

31 Posts

When I get Acronis to boot properly and show the disks, I can see my RAID DISK as Unallocated and only 68,24 GB, but it is larger (about 300 GB)...

And then when it works to boot on Acronis CD, I can browse the USB disc, and I can see the folder where I saved the image, but the image itself is not visible ...

31 Posts

I thought I should add the drivers after booting Acronis, when restoring an image.

How can I add the drivers before ?

To the Acronis bood cd?

31 Posts

Ok, now I tried Acronis 2013

I come as far as "choose destination discs"

But the disk that I want to recover to(that still has the wrong size, 68,24GB) is greyed out.

And thats because it doesent fit the image that is 90 GB...

79 Posts

July 16th, 2013 05:00

wrt the RAMDisk error.  How much memory is in the system and what is/are the min. required by Acronis ?

79 Posts

July 16th, 2013 05:00

See my post earlier in the thread: 4 Jul 2013 6:01 AM

31 Posts

July 18th, 2013 02:00

"When you are using the Acronis CD/DVD you are running a WinPE OS and should provide it with the appropriate RAID drivers (matched by WinPE OS version and Architecture - 32-bits 64-bit)

You will need those drivers to read the source and target devices..."

A PE disc is made when having an OS up and running on the specific computer as far as I understand,

I can not make a PE disc when  nothing is installed on this server.

Maybe I can install a clean version of Win2003Server on it, then Install Acronis and make a WinPE disk, then use it  to clone the disc from the other Server...?

A lot of workarounds here, and very timeconsuming ...

79 Posts

July 18th, 2013 04:00

These aren't workarounds, these are the tools you need to perform the job.  You said you had Acronis on CD, therefore you have the WinPE disc. :o)

You want to build a server, therfore you need the drivers.  If you are on the Internet then you have a system to get the drivers.

You are right, until you figure it out it is time consuming.  Then again how time consuming is it to rebuild a server and re-create it's workload.  That is the balance you need to consider.  

If it is faster to re-install from scratch, then do it.  It is always better to have a fresh install.

Good luck !

31 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 17:00

A new problem came up.

I tried to make a fresh install of Win 2003 Server.

But none of my CDs  seem to work.

Eather they doesnt boot at all, or gets an error like "memory overflow"

And adding a USB CDROM doesnt seem to work, its not found in bios...

31 Posts

July 26th, 2013 02:00

Ok, I found one of my OEM CDs that work to  boot.

But even then when I get to "create partition" the only choice is one that is 68GB...

Its 320GB in the RAID settings...

31 Posts

July 28th, 2013 03:00

I can add drivers at the installation, but only from a fluppy disc, so stupid...

31 Posts

August 1st, 2013 05:00

Correction, I have 4 disks that are 73 GB (68 GB formatted).

Now I just need to make a raid 5, and make 2 partitions on it (if a Poweredge 2600 can handle that)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 1st, 2013 08:00

The 2600 (rather, its controllers) can handle a RAID 5 ... it doesn't care about partitions - that is up to the OS.  Unless, of course, you are talking about "slicing" the disks - creating multiple logical drives across the disks (each appearing as a separate "disk" in the OS).  I would NOT do this, as it would be unnecessarily complicated for the controller and could lead to problems down the road.

No Events found!