Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2011 08:00

Is there a way of disabling a processor within the Bios?

I have got a Dell Poweredge R510 with 2 CPU's installed and i am wondering if there is a way to disable one of the processors?

The software installed on the system is licenced to use only 1 socket but we do not want to remove it due to the fact we will be upgrading the server in the future?

Is there any way of doing this without physically removing the CPU from the motherboard?

6 Posts

DELL- Chris H

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. Would you by any chance know how many memory slots there are on each of the banks?

At the moment we have got 8x 8GB Dimms and i was wondering if we would be able to keep the fully alloted memory for a single CPU? Unfortunately the server is located in a server rom i do not have access to?

• 

8.8K Posts

Francozola,

There is not an option for disabling the processor. You can limit the cores on it, but you can't disable it entirely. Also with going to one processor you lose the memory on the B bank, as the memory controller is embedded in each processor. Processor 1 controls A bank and Processor 2 controls the B bank, so with only one processor you limit yourself with the memory as well.

6 Posts

Thank you for your reply.

The OS is RHEL 5.6

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Processors cannot be disabled in the BIOS.  You will need to remove the processor, OR "virtualize" an OS on this server.  What OS and edition are you using?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 20th, 2011 09:00

Chris ... correct me if I'm wrong, but he would be able to use all four slots with 16GB DIMM's, right?  For 64GB?

• 

8.8K Posts

Flash,

You are limited to the 3 as each channel can only support  4 ranks. A4 and A1 both make up Channel 0. A2 is channel 1 and A3 is channel 2. The 16gb dimms are quad ranked so if you place 4 in the server then channel 0 will exceed the 4 rank limitation.

• 

8.8K Posts

You have 4 slots per bank. Now with the 8gb dimms you can get 32gb. You can exceed that to 48gb with 3 16gb dimms in slot A1, A2, and A3. These are both with the memory mode set to Sparing or Optimized.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 20th, 2011 10:00

Thanks Chris ... this is the basis for my question:

I also didn't remember seeing the rank-limitation ... where is that found?

• 

8.8K Posts

October 25th, 2011 07:00

In the R510 BIOS (F2) select Processor Settings, then select Number of Cores per Processor. From there you can set it as one if the following :

All - the maximum number of cores in each processor is enabled.

Single - one processor core is enabled.

Dual - two processor cores are enabled.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2011 07:00

HI Chris, i am sorry for not getting back to you sooner but i have only just got back to the office. When you stated that you could limit the cores do you mean that you can reduce it to showing 4 cores per cpu or reduce it lower? Ideally we need to get to a situation where the server is only showing 4 cores total without having to remove the second CPU. Hyper threading is turned of and is stating 8 cores at the moment? Is it possible to reduce each CPU to only show 2 cores each ? If so this would get around the licensing issue and allow the server to be updated in the future without any hardware changes?

Thanks again for your support so far.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2011 08:00

Thanks again Chris. I will try this out and let you know the outcome.

The help is greatly appreciated.

• 

8.8K Posts

With both processors installed it will allow the other bank. If the license is for the cores, and not the processors installed then you should be fine limiting them down.

6 Posts

Thank you very much Chris.

Will this also allow me to keep the full amount of memory for each CPU if i reduce the Core value of each CPU?

Sorry for all the questions.

No Events found!