Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 1st, 2018 07:00

Issues with Dell 7200W UPS Network Management Card

Hello,

I have two 2700W UPS', both with an NMC. It seems both have stopped working. The activity lights for the network port are active, however even after multiple cold starts (with the NMC in, and inserting the NMC after the UPS turns on), the UPS Data light never turns on. I am also unable to connect via the settings/com connection (blank screen in putty)

I assume it's improbable that they both died at the same time, so I'm not really sure what's going on. The last time I tried to access them was back during a firmware update, so it is possible they are bricked and I'm just now noticing. Is there any recovery process for this?

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 10:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 1st, 2018 13:00

The Activity and 100MB lights are both illuminated for the network port. I have tried two RJ45/DB9 cables, and a RJ45/USB console cable, and neither have worked. The USB Data light and the RS232 light of the settings port are never illuminated.

Connecting via USB to the UPS itself works fine

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 13:00

Thank you for the service tag.

The ethernet port has an activity and signal/100Mb light. You said the activity light is active, is the 100Mb/signal light illuminated? The data LED is on the serial connection. Are you using the RJ-45 to DB-9 management cable in that port? Are you not able to connect to the management cards from either source?

I would also try accessing the UPS via the USB connection. You can find documentation in the manual section of the 2700 support page:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-2700r/

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 14:00

There may be an issue with the console cable that you are using. The network lights indicate the NMC is communicating over the network. The IP address may have changed. You can use ULNM to scan for a UPS on the network.

If the NMC has become nonfunctional then I would attempt to re-flash or update the firmware on the NMC and UPS. If that does not resolve the issue then either the UPS or NMC could be at fault. Without a known-good NMC and UPS to test with it would be a guess as to which needs to be replaced.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 1st, 2018 15:00

Is it possible to re-flash the NMC without it being reachable via a console cable?

I have re-flashed the UPS' successfully already

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 16:00

@mdenning wrote:

Is it possible to re-flash the NMC without it being reachable via a console cable?

It does not appear there is an update method over USB for the NMC.

No Events found!