Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2013 07:00

M1000e CMC firmware upgrade issue

Hi,

I want to upgrade the M1000e CMC firwmare to support the 12th generataion servers. The M1000e actual firmware is the original firmware

released with the chassis back in 2008. I started by upgrading the cmc-standby to version 1.10 but with no success. After more than 12 hours,

the upgrade is still running and I noticed this error in the log:

CMC 1 Degraded: Micro Controller sensor for CMC, redundancy lost was asserted

CMC version: A02.1.0.200801211830

Is there any way to interrupt the upgrade process or the continue the upgrade?

Please advise.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 10:00

Hello again bdjebbar

Physically remove both CMCs. Then insert 1 CMC and let it come online. Then insert the other CMC and let it come online. If they both come online without issue then start the update again.

I checked on whether or not we really need to step the firmware up and I found an internal document that stated it is not necessary to step. I would suggest updating directly to 4.4

CMC firmware can be updated from any version. It is NOT necessary to update to any intermediary version before updating to the latest version.

Thanks

21 Posts

July 12th, 2013 12:00

Both are inserted. CMC-standby is not shown on the web GUI.

• 

6.2K Posts

The one that failed the update will probably require replacement. I would suggest removing it from the system for now. Update the other CMC to 4.4.

After the other one is update remove it from the system and insert the CMC that is failed. Check to see if it will be detected by itself. If it is detected then update it. If it is not detected then it will likely need to be replaced.

Thanks

21 Posts

Hi Daniel,

What is the impact if the upgrade fails again and I lost the CMC?

Thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

CMC-standby did not come online after the after the physical remove. The CMC is standaolne now.

That sounds right. It is the only one inserted, correct? If there are not two installed then there will not be a standby. Also, if they are on different firmware revisions then there will not be a standby.

Go ahead and update it to 4.4

21 Posts

Hi Daniel,

CMC-standby did not come online after the after the physical remove. The CMC is standaolne now.

Please advise.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 12th, 2013 13:00

What is the impact if the upgrade fails again and I lost the CMC?

Until a functional CMC is installed this will occur:

Fans will operate at maximum RPM
Blades will not be accessible remotely
Blades cannot be powered on, so currently running blades will function but new blades will not be powered
Blade performance will be reduced to limit power draw

21 Posts

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your help. Is there any way to get the failed CMC running again?

I tried many times to remove and reinsert the module but no success.

Thank you.

• 

6.2K Posts

If it is nonfunctional when it is inserted by itself then I don't think it is salvageable. There is no way to communicate with it if it is not coming online. Because of this you will be limited to what is available physically on the CMC. The only jumper setting I am aware of is the password clear. I don't think it will have any impact on the current situation, but it would be worth a try.

Insert a jumper into the password clear on the CMC. Then insert the CMC into the system. It will revert back to the default root/calvin user/pass. Aside from that you can try completely powering down the chassis and disconnect power. Then power on the chassis with just the 1 CMC loaded to see if it will initialize.

Those are the only suggestions I can think of to try to recover the CMC. Anything beyond that will require specialized hardware and an understanding of the CMC well beyond me.

No Events found!